General Job Description
The Accountant II performs a variety of accounting related tasks, including the analysis, reconciliation, and ensuring the accuracy of assigned general ledger accounts and accounting programs. At this level, the Accountant II will be highly involved in internal and external audits, grant accounting as well as providing guidance and leadership to lower level accounting staff and serving as a liaison to internal and external customers. Specific job duties may vary depending on assignment.
* Communicates effectively with both internal and external customers, following up on questions and discrepancies. Acts as a liaison between Accounting and internal customers.
* Conducts in-depth analysis, reviews and audits of assigned programs, processes, or accounting functions (such as payroll, A/P, Grant, etc.). Reviews and analyzes financial reports to identify errors, misstatements, or unrecorded transactions. Maintains documentation and resolves identified issues promptly and correctly. Guides lower level staff on issue resolution and liaisons with internal departments and external customers in identifying, researching, and resolving discrepancies and issues.
* Coordinates external audits. Prepares schedules for audits. Serves as a liaison with internal customers and external auditors/customers for audits. Researches and prepares materials for audits.
* Gathers and compiles data from a variety of sources. Prepares, distributes, and maintains a variety of periodic and ad-hoc reports. Reviews and analyzes reports to identify errors, misstatements or unrecorded transactions. Implements prompt and proper corrections.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Prepares journal, payroll, and/or general ledger entries, maintaining documentation and ensuring timely payments/remittances are made. Ensures adherence to all state and federal rules and regulations, as well as departmental standards. Reviews entries by lower level staff for accuracy and timeliness.
* Provides high-level support to specific accounting functions, which may include budget preparation, grant management, budget proposals, and the utilization of resources.
* 3 years of specific functional accounting experience may be required depending on assignment (i.e., Grant Accounting, Payroll, Budgets, Internal and External Audits, etc.).
* 5 years of Accounting experience required. Healthcare experience strongly preferred.
* Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance required.
* Or equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the skills, knowledge and ability to perform the essential job duties, and which meets any required state or federal certification requirements.
Experience/Specialized skills (including Language)
* Ability to accurately complete data entry at relatively high speed, including 10-key by touch.
* Ability to work well in both a team-based environment and independently.
* Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills.
* Exceptional knowledge of the processes and practices regarding budgets, grant proposals, and program management.
* Exceptional knowledge of the processes, practices, and procedures relating to the accounting function.
* Intermediate interpersonal and customer service skills.
* Intermediate organizational skills and attention to detail.
* Intermediate skills in computer applications and software, especially MS Excel.
* Intermediate skills in mathematics.
* Intermediate written and verbal communication skills.