Account Specialist, Client Development
Retail Business Group
Learn and work on meaningful initiatives with some of the best and brightest in the market research industry. The NPD Group provides the world’s most successful brands with leading market research, combining consumer and retail point-of-sale data with analytic solutions to interpret today’s market trends while anticipating tomorrow’s. In addition, we offer a career filled with innovation and growth to the forward-thinking problem solvers who join our team.
You’re a passionate, dynamic, and highly motivated individual who’s looking for an opportunity to have an impact on some of the most well-known companies in the world. This integral member of the Retail Business Group team will report directly to the Executive Director, Client Development. If you enjoy working with clients to influence their business solutions, this job is for you.
Our Retail Business Group team is currently seeking an Account Specialist who is responsible for managing and growing the relationship between NPD and a number of retailers focused on the consumer sporting goods and athletics industry. In this role, you will aid in building actionable, value-added insights, manage and grow the client relationship, and drive revenue.
This position will be based in NPD’s Port Washington, NY headquarters, with some travel to see clients in various locations across the US as needed.
- Build strategic relationships with client contacts to develop strategic business insights regarding the clients' most important business issues/needs, both short and long-term.
- Ensure overall client satisfaction by proactively relating the cross category data and industry trends to business opportunities.
- Provide insights, data analysis and appropriate solutions, using various NPD data resources and capabilities, to directly support the decision making process within cross functional retailer teams such as Consumer Insights, Strategy and Merchandise .
- Develop a strong comprehension of how manufacturer/retailer relationships can be applied to assist our retailers in growth profitability while also advancing NPD's reputation, positioning and growth.
- Enhance manufacturer and retailer collaboration
- Strengthen partnership by delivering value-added analysis within the practice area.
- Expand the client base to include a broader mix of end users.
- Operate in a collaborative team environment providing support and cross-functional training as needed
- Partner with cross-functional departments and teams to ensure success for the business.
- 6+ years of experience within data analysis, client services, account management or sales. Category Management or Key Account experience within a manufacturer or retailer a plus.
- Corporate retailexperience with exposure to point-of-sale data analyses and store level applications with a deep understanding of how data can be used to identify business building opportunities for clients.
- Ability to synthesize data and develop meaningful conclusions/insights using several data resources- POS scanner and consumer panel data.
- Ability to generate/support creative ideas and effectively sell those ideas.
- Strong presentation skills with a high comfort level presenting to large groups and senior audiences.
- Demonstrated success in contract negotiations.
- Proven history of meeting and exceeding revenue goals.
- Advanced Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of the books industry and book retailers preferred
- Travel typically <25%
The ideal candidate must be able to conduct engaging and impactful presentations that deliver value to the client while telling a compelling story in a concise and polished manner to a diverse audience.
Most importantly, the candidate must demonstrate the ability to listen to the customer and appropriately match the customer's needs with NPD's products and services, or be willing to direct the customer to the best solution.
The ideal candidate must be comfortable and effective when talking with a broad range of decision influencers and decision makers within an organization. The candidate will be able to effectively understand and build relationships throughout the prospective customer's organization.