Under the direction of the Manager, Customer Experience, the Account Manager is the primary point of contact between the ISO and its stakeholders, including entities such as EIM entities, Utility Distribution Companies, Metered Subsystems, Participating Generators, Transmission Owners, adjacent Control Areas, and new market entrants. Manages a variety of client interactions with the ISO on strategic issues and initiatives related to markets, business and grid operations. Proactively monitors client strategies, identifies issues, investigates emerging trends and assesses impact. Works closely with Client Representatives as well as staff from other departments, such as Market & Infrastructure Policy, to support clients in their day-to-day interactions with the ISO.
What You Will Be Doing
- Acts with other account managers as a central point of business contact between the client and the ISO. Works proactively with clients at senior and executive levels to help them engage with the California ISO more effectively according to their business needs and in accordance with the tariff, strategic initiatives and operating procedures. Investigates emerging client trends, assesses impact to the ISO and clients, develops strategies and works closely with other ISO departments to deliver value-added services.
- Initiates short and long term planning sessions between the clients and the ISO. Advises clients on emerging issues that impact their business. Manages client issues related to control area operations, market transactions, ISO contracts, scheduling, real time operations, metering, settlements, tariff interpretation, financial security, and information technology. Identifies and helps solve tariff, policy or structural business problems for clients and the ISO.
- With other account manager maintains a portfolio of strategic ISO accounts and manages each account. Creates and maintains detailed client account plans, identifies client needs, tracks client action plans. Coordinates with colleagues to develop and implement integrated customer care strategies and tactics. Maintains an up-to-date register of client interactions in the ISO’s customer relationship management system. Collaborates with senior and executive ISO management to set client service strategies.
- Provides updates to management on client issues and trends. Administers a client engagement plan, to enable ISO officers to interact with their client peer executives. May serve as lead negotiator on good faith negotiations with clients. Attends client meetings and industry forums, including ISO Board meetings, regional client forums and other events, as required. Prepares written and oral presentations.
- Contributes to the ISO’s stakeholder process by monitoring policy, tariff, infrastructure planning and strategic initiatives, and ensures clients are engaged in initiatives that they may influence or shape. Periodically samples stakeholders on ISO draft proposals and positions. Communicates clients’ messages within the ISO, and communicates ISO positions to clients. Works to understand clients’ position on strategic initiatives for internal communication, board preparation and issue resolution.
- Serves as a partner and escalation point for Client Representatives. Administers the touch point mapping process to capture detailed client inputs on market, grid planning and implementation processes. Provides briefings to educate external entities on the role of the ISO. May be required to support and deliver high level educational material to further educate external entities, agencies and organizations. Conducts building and overlook tours for visiting groups and client visits.
- Serves as a change agent for others within the ISO, due to the unique exposure to issues. Partners with the customer readiness team to prepare and support training, as well as identifying training needs of customers. Leads project teams, and participates in special projects as needed to ensure a coordinated ISO response and to help others in the ISO to develop a client-centric focus. Aids new entrants in understanding their options for participating in ISO markets, planning and grid operations.
Level of Education
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training and experience in Engineering, Business, Economics, Information Systems or related field.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus six (6) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience
- Professional experience working directly with customers.
- Electric utility industry experience with fundamentals in utility industry, ISO Grid Operations, Market Operations and ISO Settlements strongly preferred.
- Demonstrates high level of understanding on topics including but not limited to market design, tariff/legal, generation dispatch, market functionality, forward market scheduling, existing transmission contracts, and settlements matters.
- Demonstrates fundamental leadership skills with the ability to work effectively in a team environment as a leader, facilitator and team member.
- Ability to provide practical and feasible solutions to problems, keeping multiple conflicting considerations into account.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills required.
- Excellent analytical skills are required, including the ability to effectively communicate complex technical materials and concepts in a non-technical manner.
- Must be able to handle a dynamic and changing work environment, and work independently.
- Self-motivated, problem solving skills and the ability to influence others without direct authority.
- Ability to grasp complex market interactions and inter-dependencies.
- Proficiency in computer applications such as MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), and mobile computing technologies.
- Ability to travel to client facilities, offices, power plants and other work locations as required.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.