Sonoco has the following Account Manager position available in Protective Solutions. The Account Manager position is an experienced sales position focused on targeted sales efforts and customer relationship management across a broad range of customers for major / key accounts. Individual will be responsible for developing opportunities, setting sales strategy; competitive positioning and account plan
execution in selling various product solutions to key strategic customer.
- Facilitate effective preparation of proposals, submittals and presentations.
- Extensive involvement with key customer stakeholders (Operations, Logistics, Packaging Engineering, Quality/Regulatory) on new designs and/or redesigns of packaging for new and existing products; works closely with Sonoco’s local and divisional engineering teams.
- Develop and implement market segment and customer specific strategic plans to capture new business growth; analyze and report market trends, identify new markets and recommend new products.
- Seek and promote new uses and markets for technology and products.
- Establish and work closely with peer-to-peer relationships with marketing, R&D, manufacturing and other resources.
- Perform field service intelligence regarding customer complaints and/or issues, develop action plans to address.
- Provide market intelligence/competition/trends/status/progress to company management.
- Support marketing programs.
- Travel to customer’s locations according to predetermined plans and within approved budget
- Maintain a working knowledge and full compliance with corporate standards for business conduct and Federal anti-trust laws.
- Utilize Sonoco Selling System (Sandler)
- Have Weekly Individual Meeting (WIM) with manager, including an agenda
- Provide annual sales forecasts
- Maintain sales pipeline, including monthly pipeline reviews with leadership
- 70% Prospecting for new business, 30% maintaining and building existing relationships with current customers in the Louisville, KY and Memphis, TN areas
Bachelor's degree in Packaging Engineering or related technical field; minimum 5 to 10 years related experience
- Demonstrated success as key account/large account manager; prior sales of engineered solutions into the pharmaceutical, bio technology or life science industries essential
- Success at reaching decision makers and dealing with top level decision makers
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to influence senior management.
- Dynamic builder of relationships with customers, with track record of identifying new areas of opportunity and negotiating business contracts for mutual benefit.
- Strategic thinking, problem-solving, negotiation and decision-making skills
- Highly motivated and self- directed.
- Effective communicator with customers, executives, peers and team members.
- Strong financial acumen with the ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities.
- Experience in bringing together cross functional teams to help solve a customer’s problem (Marketing, Engineering, Operations, Quality, etc.)
- Experience with Freight Forwarders or Logistics is a plus
- This is a “technical” sell so an engineering background or technical sales background is a plus