The responsibilities associated our group (VERET – VMware External Research and Emerging Technologies) range from speculative academic explorations to 'moon-shot' technology projects within the office of the CTO. You will engage with thought-leading faculty, star students, and VMware's emerging technical leaders – people who as a rule are inspiring, technologically daring, driven, and collegially collaborative. If we are jointly successful, we will build technology options and new lines of business for VMware while broadly advancing the state of the art in computing.
- Your will work with universities worldwide on emerging technologies.
- In this role, you will scout and connect with disruptive ideas and thought leaders around the world.
- You will inspire VMware's technical community to engage with those leaders and projects.
- You will accelerate and transfer key ideas to and from VMware; and you will help to shape the computing industry in exciting new directions.
- This role will exercise your technical acumen, as you build research ideas that have the promise to be game-changing.
- This will also exercise your imaginative potential as you extrapolate possibilities for the technology and its implications.
- Finally, the role will explore your leadership abilities as you identify and pursue strategic opportunities.
- Advanced technical degree or equivalent experience in systems research in an area of importance to VMware (e.g. big data, storage technologies, distributed systems, software defined infrastructure, hardware/architecture)
- Do you have direct experience organizing and leading impactful industry-university collaborations, with demonstrated appreciation of the cultural and workstyle differences?
- Proven ability to ramp quickly in new, emerging technical areas
- Do you enjoy travel and have willingness to travel 25%?
- Demonstrated talent and social/organizational acumen in creating links across organizations and operating as a "connector"
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills through all methods (email, social media, face to face, conferences, leading meetings, etc.)
- Diplomacy and the ability to influence people at all levels across a broad variety of job functions
- Excellent organizational skills to juggle many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority tasks.
- Results oriented and driven.
- Creative and agile.
- Experience collaborating with government research agencies
- Experience with software product organizations
- Experience with organizational design
- Established relationships with faculty and students at one or more universities
Education: PhD or equivalent experience