AVANTOR BUSINESS SYSTEM: Setting science in motion to create a better world is what we do – the Avantor Business System (ABS) comprises the leadership capability, lean processes and tools that enable us to do it. Built on the foundation of our core values and a common vision, we use ABS to rigorously execute our strategies using unified practices and standard processes. A relentless focus on eliminating waste to increase value for our stakeholders is the core of our continuous improvement approach. From associate led daily improvements to transformational strategic breakthrough improvements, our kaizen philosophy is all about making tomorrow better than today. We align ourselves to a core set of key performance indicators at each level of the organization to enable performance management and continual personal development. Simply put, ABS is part of our culture. It is all about people, processes and leadership to drive profitable growth and operational excellence. ABS is how we think and it underpins everything we do at Avantor.
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Director Avantor Business Systems Office in conjunction with the Executive Leadership Team will be responsible for providing thought leadership, strategic direction and tactical implementation of ABS to deliver business results. The Director, ABS will also be responsible for the continued evolution and promotion of ABS Culture across the organization and be instrumental in growing the organization’s ABS capability at all levels. This will require significant change management to effectively embed ABS throughout the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Strategy Deployment: Responsible for working with executive leadership team to developing the continuous improvement plans within the specified area of responsibility in alignment with key business priorities. Lead the strategy deployment process to enable achievement of breakthrough objectives. Leaded continued development and maintenance of ABS strategy, standards and tools.
- Daily Management Process: Responsible for establishing a structured tiered daily management process that fosters identification of metrics that matter and drives sustainable improvements through structured problem solving. Leverage Daily Management Process and structure to challenge the organization in identification of next level improvements.
- Problem Solving: Leverage ABS A3 Management process and team based basic problem solving processes to institutionalize data based problem solving.
- Kaizen Culture: Responsible for developing a kaizen culture by engaging associates at all levels in the improvement process. Maintain kaizen funnel and align kaizen events to impact key metrics important to the business. Facilitate kaizen events and train other capable individuals to become kaizen facilitators. Must be proficient in a variety of proven lean tools, processes and systems like VSM etc.
- Capability Building: Develop capability across the spectrum from the tactical (deployment and application of principles, concepts and methods) to the strategic (a transformation that deeply impacts a key value stream). Lead ABS and associated tools training content in collaboration with other experts within the organization using “learn by doing, teach by showing” as the fundamental pillar. Lead the deployment of training by creating a “train the trainer” model. Manage and coach the extended ABS community.
- Results and Sustainability: Responsible for sustaining the results (Growth, Safety, Quality, Delivery, Productivity, Cost, Inventory, Profitability, etc.) achieved through follow-up operations reviews in conjunction with the executive leadership team.
- Maturity Assessment: Responsible for partnering with the executive leadership team to assess ABS maturity using the ABS Maturity Assessment roadmap process, identify gaps and develop plans to close the gap to ensure improvement.
MOST IMPORTANT COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Business Partnership: Executive presence and credibility to be an integral part of the Business Leadership Team that the ABS Director supports. Can challenge, coach, train the leadership team, as well as support and deliver on ABS initiatives at all levels.
- Influence – Drive commitment over compliance, must be able to inform, convince, and persuade others to act on initiatives with urgency.
- Challenge – Ability to look at facts and data to drive tough conversations while demonstrating core values. Tough minded with low ego and high confidence and not afraid to raise the bar.
- Change management – Ability to engage the hearts and minds of people.
- Technical Expertise - Possess the technical skills necessary to be credible; must have significant experience as a lean practitioner in a variety of tools including but not limited to: Strategy/Policy Deployment, Kaizen, A3 Problem Solving, VSM, Standard Work, Pull Systems & Kanban, SIOP/IBP, Lean Daily Management, 5S/Visual Management, 3P, SMED, TPM, Transactional Process Improvement, Variation Reduction Kaizen & Six Sigma, etc., and "growth tools” such as VOC, NPI, Value Pricing, Value Selling, 80/20 Business Simplification, Visual Project Management etc.
- Execution – Delivers and measures and enables sustainment of results.
- Communication - Must be able to effectively communicate in both written and verbal forms, and courageously speak to all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated experience as a lean practitioner.
- Strategic mindset with hands-on approach.
- Strong focus on customer and end user experience.
- Gains traction quickly, demonstrates ambition and high energy
- Manages conflict
- Independent worker, capable of operating in a fast-moving, ever changing environment and able to effectively deal with difficult situations
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS or BA Degree; Master’s Degree preferred
- Minimum fifteen years in a lean/operational leadership role
- Extensive training and implementation experience in industry leading lean tools and practices
- Ability to accurately assess key business metrics and situations from a general manager’s perspective
- Familiarity with various manufacturing process technologies
- Excellent time and project management
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.