3PL Operations Director, Automotive Replenishment
11 - 15 years experience • Diversified Industrial
Our client is a stable and rapidly growing third-party logistics (3PL) company that provides manufacturing replenishment, sequencing, quality inspection and inventory control services to manufacturers in the Automotive and Industrial verticals.
It seeks to hire a 3PL Operations Director to manage 3 facilities in the San Jose, CA area.
The 3PL is instrumental in orchestrating inbound material flow to enable efficient and continuous automobile assembly. The facility receives, quality inspects, sequences and delivers automotive components directly to the assembly line in a JIT fashion.
This is NOT a small supervisory role, it’s a director-level position with general management responsibilities. This position will manage 3 distribution center managers and 1,000+ operations personnel overall. The director will spend most of the time managing the client relationship and requirements to ensure outstanding operational performance and customer satisfaction. This role is responsible for coaching and leading the operations team to efficiently and safely achieve production and quality goals. The role will collaborate with industrialengineering resources to define and manage Lean Manufacturing initiatives, contributing knowledge, participating in Kaizen events, and coordinating resources to implement solutions and training. Experience with SAP WMS is desirable.
A qualified candidate will have at least 10 years of operations management experience in an automotive or industrial manufacturing environment OR 3PL company serving Automotive OEMs with manufacturing replenishment services. Candidates with less than 10 yrs experience will NOT be considered.
Qualified candidates will likely have an industrialengineering or business degree in operations management, and certifications and training in improvement methods (e.g. LeanSix Sigma).
· Manage 3 facilities (plant) managers and 1,000+ operations personnel.
· Interface with the customer’s key leaders and operations personal to plan production, react to changes, drive improvement programs and resolve issues.
· Provide daily oversight to production operations and personnel, including planning, inbound material receipts, inspection, rework, inventory and order management, and on-time shipment.
· Teach, coach, supervise and demonstrate work activities for team members.
· Maintain a motivational work environment through appropriate goal-setting, operating principles, communications and fair treatment of all employees.
· Set work priorities to meet production objectives and delivery deadlines in the established budget.
· Conduct performance reviews to provide incentive and constructive input for individual improvement.
· Define and administer inventory control, material storage, and scheduling activities.
· Maintain accurate physical inventories by implementing cycle counts, resolving inventory discrepancies in operations, and processing inventory adjustments.
· Coordinate with primary OEM customer team Sales on order demand and scheduling to ensure on-time material replenishment to automotive assembly points of consumption.
· Contributing Lean Manufacturing knowledge, participate in Kaizen events, and coordinate resources to implement solutions and training.
· Define and manage multiple operational improvement initiatives concurrently.
· Act to correct poor performance and poor behavior that puts the employees or team at risk or impacts the team’s ability to achieve its objectives.
· Provide team members with training on workplace and company policies, procedures and practices, including safety procedures, proper use of equipment, and performance standards.
· Monitor working conditions regularly to ensure the safety of all team members, and take timely corrective action as required, including disciplinary action when necessary.
· Apply problem-solving techniques (e.g. 8D, 5 Why, Kaizen Newsletters) to ensure all personnel and quality issues are resolved in a timely manner.
· Facilitate financial month-end close by providing valid inventory numbers for corporate reporting.
· Ensure timely record keeping, filing and other administrative duties as required, using SAP.
· Report accidents or incidents that occur within the designated facility (on or off site), including completing accident or incident reports when such events occur.
· 10+ years of supervisory experience in an automotive or industrial manufacturing environment OR 3PL company serving Automotive OEMs with manufacturing replenishment services.
· Candidates with less than 10 years of experience will NOT be considered.
· Must demonstrate labor management, leadership and team building skills.
· Expertise in automotive assembly, sequencing and JIT manufacturing replenishment, quality assurance, inventory management, warehousing processes and systems, as well as BOM maintenance, launch planning, and Lean Manufacturing.
· Former P&L responsibility and familiarity with labor and financialbudgeting.
· Experience in the use of SAP ERP for quality and order management and WMS for warehouse management is highly desirable.
· Demonstrated success in driving process re-engineering and operational improvement projects with evidence of increased productivity and cost savings.
· Experience in planning for and executing capital projects to improve material handling, inventory storage and retrieval, machine setup and utilization, product/service quality, safety, and information management.
· Group facilitation and trainer/instructor skills.
· Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with individuals at all levels.
· Strong organization, communication, and computer skills, including Microsoft Office.
· US Citizenship or permanent residency is required.
· Bachelor's Degree preferably in Engineering or Business (Operations Management), or equivalent work experience.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirement for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.