Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
The Substation Designer works as a member of the CEC “Controlled Environment Construction” design team and regularly interfaces with the Company’s structural engineers and project managers and administrators. This Individual Contributor role is responsible for creating substation field construction and manufacturing shop drawings from 3D models utilizing Autodesk Inventor with the SDS add-in and AutoCAD.
This position requires leadership abilities with people in all departments in order to maintain amiable and profitable relationships in inter-departmental communication. He/she provides feedback to applicable departments on customer requirements, manufacturing or fabrication changes and drafting procedure changes.
The incumbent will read and interpret customer specifications, plans and other order information required to complete customer orders. He/she will be responsible for identifying any inconsistent, conflicting or missing customer information and determining the correct course of action to resolve the issues in conjunction with the Project Manager. The Design Drafter is also responsible for reviewing all internal documentations for compliance to customer specifications, and current manufacturing capabilities. Any identified discrepancies shall be brought to the attention of the responsible department for resolution.
This energetic, self-motivated professional must demonstrate the ability to read and understand Substation layout and detail drawings and technical documents. The Substation Designer must have the ability to complete a high volume of work with minimal supervision.
· Works efficiently and must be task focused at all times realizing that early completion of any task is important to the success of the project as a whole and to a greater extent the success of the Company
· Assists in the development of new productivity tools to be used within the existing Inventor and AutoCAD software systems. Notifies the Substation Business Line Manager of any procedures that might be enhanced to improve productivity.
· Provides periodic schedule updates to the Substation Business Line Manager and Project Manager for tasks that are in process
· Properly saves all in-progress and completed work in strict accordance with established Company procedures
· Applies industry recognized standards such as AISC, NESC and IEEE codes and guidelines
· Must have the ability to acquire an increasing knowledge of substation design and construction
· Works with project management, to resolve or remove any impediments to the successful completion of the project
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
· Preferred Bachelor’s in a Technical / Applied Science field such as Engineering, Engineering Technology or a relevant field from an accredited College or University. Bachelor’s Degree with 5+ years of relevant experience.
· A suitable combination of education, training, and/or experience in 3D modeling and/or Auto Cad software will be considered in lieu of a degree
· Experience using Autodesk Inventor preferred but will consider other 3D prototyping platforms
· Demonstrated ability to work independently with little or no supervision
· The ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
· Demonstrated strong professional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
· Demonstrated ability to keep a positive, professional attitude in a fast-paced environment subject to specific deadlines which must be met
· Must possess strong problem solving skills, with attention to detail and a number/math orientation
· Ability to work in, and be an integral part of a team environment
· Ability to identify, communicate and participate in process improvement opportunities aimed at reducing cost, improving efficiencies and increasing customer satisfaction
· Excellent customer focus, including positive customer feedback
· Decisive problem-solving ability and capability to assess people and situations with accuracy
· Confident self-starter with integrity and accountability
· Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities