This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced transactional attorney with a background in real estate to join a dynamic in-house legal team operating in a fast-paced business environment. You will work with a cross-functional team of business partners in all aspects of the global real estate function and you also will have the opportunity to gain relevant legal and business experience outside the area of real estate law. We are looking for someone with a wide range of real estate experience, business acumen, and dispute resolution and team leadership skills.
Gap Inc. is a leading global fashion retailer with a family of iconic brands: Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Athleta, Intermix and Weddington Way. Building upon the significant progress that has been achieved in transforming the business over the past two years, the company has a solid foundation in place enabling significant strategic investment in the optimization and growth of its corporate and retail real estate portfolio. We are looking for an attorney who will be excited about joining us on the next step of our journey as we lead the global fashion industry. The position will be located at the company’s headquarters in San Francisco. Gap Inc. provides a fun, diverse, inclusive and flexible workplace, where driven attorneys are empowered to use their talent to have a meaningful impact on the business.
Comprising of 7 attorneys, 14 legal professionals and 6 administrative assistants, the Real Estate Law team has primary responsibility for legal issues pertaining to a portfolio of approximately 3,200 retail stores and a global network of office and supply chain real estate in North America, Europe, Asia and Mexico. Its activities are divided among a Leasing group focused on managing the company’s substantial pipeline of leased retail properties, a Property Management group responsible for ongoing asset management issues, and a Profile and Pipeline Management group responsible for handling portfolio wide division initiatives and managing the lease administration systems for the real estate pipeline. The successful applicant will provide legal advice on matters that are handled by the Leasing and Property Management groups, including retail leasing, office and distribution center matters, commercial transactions and dispute resolution.
- Innovation cultivator
- Strategic thinking
- Leasing: Review, analyze, negotiate and draft retail store leases, lease amendments, subleases, lease assignments, termination agreements, settlement agreements, and other real estate contracts and related documentation (e.g., letters of intent, licenses, term commencement agreements, memoranda of lease, waivers of exclusives, reciprocal access agreements, letters of credit, etc.).
- Property Management: Review, analyze, negotiate and draft corporate office leases for domestic and international locations, purchase and sale agreements for office and industrial properties, constructioncontracts, sourcing and vendor agreements, services agreements and other real estate contracts and related documentation (e.g., easement agreements, lien releases, title reports, CC&Rs, etc.).
- Manage and provide strategic legal advice for the resolution of construction, rent and occupancy audit, maintenance and otherlandlord/tenant and real estate related disputes.
- Analyze, address, and provide legal advice to a cross-functional team of business partners, including those within Global Real Estate, Real Estate Finance, Corporate Facilities and Administration, and Sourcing relative to legal and contractual matters affecting Gap Inc.’s use and operation of its retail stores, corporate offices and industrial properties.
- Supervise and train attorneys, managers and paralegals in supporting Gap Inc.’s real estate activities.
- Collaborate with peers to develop more innovative and creative ways to get the Real Estate Law team’s work done.
- Work with and manage outside counsel as appropriate and within budgetary guidelines to assist in consummation of real estate negotiations and documentation, and to manage litigation and dispute resolution as necessary.
KEY EXPERIENCES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Juris Doctor or LLM from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in at least one U.S. state or other applicable jurisdiction.
- At least 8years of relevant law firm and in-house legal department experience, practicing as a transactional attorney in real estate, with a strong understanding in the areas of retail and commercial leasing, property management, and landlord/tenant and other real estate related disputes.
- Proven team leadership and talent development skills.
- Litigation experience a plus.
- Professional with high ethical standards.
- Strong communication, negotiating, drafting and problem-solving skills.
- Business-focused and creative problem solving mindset with ability to balance legal risk and business impact.
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Enthusiasm for diversity and encouraging a broad range of opinions, ideas and perspectives to help drive creativity and innovation.
- Cultural awareness.
- Effective at resolving differences of opinion through consensus building.
- Practical, resourceful, flexible and adaptable to change.
- Desire and ability to work independently and cross-functionally, and to prioritize and appropriately manage risk in a fast-paced and challenging corporate legal environment.
- Strong organizational skills, detailed oriented with the ability to juggle multiple tasks.
- Ability to conceptualize and articulate pragmatic/creative legal and business solutions to complex legal and business challenges
- Ability to focus on possibilities and not problems.
- Enthusiasm for new challenges and learning new skills.