CyVerse is the National Science Foundation’s premier data management platform, working to design, deploy, and expand a national cyberinfrastructure for life sciences research and train scientists in its use. This initiative brings together biologists, computer and information scientists and engineers, as well as experts from other disciplines, all working on integrated teams.
CyVerse staff tackle prevailing computational and data-centric problems associated with providing large-scale research infrastructure for life science research.
We are seeking a talented software engineer to join our Core Software team who will work with other software engineers, computer scientists, and project managers to develop appropriate software solutions for our user communities focused on solving Grand Challenges problems. This position will collaborate with team members from participating institutions, developing innovative, open source applications for the science research communities. We seek a highly motivated person with an appetite to learn, ability to perform in team environments, flexible attitude, attention to detail, and excellent communication skills.
BIO5 transcends traditional research models by promoting intensive interdisciplinary collaboration with individuals from many departments and colleges within the University of Arizona. BIO5 is dedicated to stimulating leading-edge interdisciplinary research in order to translate research into real-world applications in the fields of medicine and agriculture. The BIO5 Institute is committed to training the next generation of scientists as well as increasing scientific knowledge throughout society.
With more than $606 million in research and development dollars from federal, state, and private sources, The University of Arizona currently ranks #21 among public universities in the US in overall research expenditures and #2 in physical science research. With world class faculty in fields as diverse as astronomy and space exploration, plant science, biomedical science and biotechnology, anthropology, Native peoples, business, law, philosophy, music, and dance, the UA is one of only 62 members in the Association of American Universities. The University’s main campus is situated in the heart of Tucson. Surrounded by mountains and the high Sonoran Desert, Tucson boasts a distinctive southwestern feel and enjoys more than 300 days of sunshine each year.
The UA today has over 43,000 students, and nearly 15,600 employees. The main campus has grown from its original 40 acres to more than 350 acres, and boasts the oldest continually maintained green space in Arizona. The University of Arizona offers a broad range of educational programs and support services that attract an excellent and diverse student body.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been listed by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona, pleaseclick here.
● Contribute to developing and maintaining an infrastructure for the science communities to help address scientific Grand Challenges.
● Implement software according to the project requirements, specifications, and timelines.
● Contribute to the development of professional processes, procedures, and standards for delivering quality products in a timely fashion.
● Work within established development standards and methodologies, including agile development, and test- and behavior-driven development.
● Work with other software engineers to document and promote best practices and patterns.
● Work with a team of developers or alone to evaluate/research current and new software development technologies, such as programming languages, application platforms, libraries, and data storage systems.
● Contribute to DevOps needs.
● Additional duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
● A combined six years of related education or experience.
● Experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL)
● Experience with Object-oriented programming in languages such as Java, C++ or functional programming in languages such as Clojure.
● Experience with Object-oriented analysis and design.
● Experience working in a team environment on successful software projects.
● Exposure to many phases of the software development/implementation life cycle.
● Experience using and/or contributing to open source software.
● Experience with a version control system, such as Subversion, CVS, or Git.
● Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field AND two year of Software Engineeringexperience; OR,
● Associate’s degree in Computer Science or related field AND four years of Software Engineering experience
● Experience with and understanding of agile development methodologies.
● Experience with data and metadata management.
● Familiarity with Unix/Linux and shell scripting.
● Familiarity with HTTP servers such as nginx or Apache.
● Understanding of common enterprise application architectural patterns, such as MVP.
● Demonstrated ability to produce robust software, preferably in the scientific computing domain.
● Basic knowledge of Web application development frameworks such as Spring
● Experience developing using modern web application framework like React, Angular etc…
● Background in programming using languages such as Go, Python, Groovy or Perl.
● Knowledge of the computational and data storage needs of the scientific communities.
● Development experience using Web 2.0 technologies.
FLSA Exempt Full Time/Part Time Full Time Number of Hours Worked per Week 40 Job Category Computer, Engineering and Technical Benefits Eligible Yes - Full Benefits Posted Rate of Pay DOE Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Number A22154