Responsible for the efficient and accurate preparation and dispensation of medications and other pharmaceuticals according to established operational procedures, and as prescribed by physicians. Provide clinical pharmacy ser-vices to ensure safe, appropriate use of pharmaceutical agents by working with providers in areas of education, medication reconciliation, consultation and various other areas. Oversee and closely review the work of pharmacy technicians.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Review pharmacy profiles for high risk/complex cases and identify interventions in conjunction with physicians.
- Assess and advise physicians of accepted formulary products, alternative substitutions and/or recommend more efficacious medications for patient therapy.
- Perform clinical pharmacokinetic dosing service in a timely and accurate manner
- Participate in Performance Improvement activities and other committees if assigned
- Serve as a source of medication information education for physicians, nurses, patients, and other ancillary per-sonnel.
- Assist in the departments associate development programs by presenting and coordinating pharmacist and technician education and training.
- Provides accurate, efficient, and friendly service to the nursing units.
- Compounding & supervising the compounding of Non-Sterile medications up to and including Moderate Compounding as defined by USP <795> & Sterile medications up to and including Medium Risk as defined by USP<797>
- Compounding caregivers adhere to the prescription or medical order for the strength, quality and purity of compounding preparations. Compounded products are packaged, labeled & dispensed according to current laws and regulations.
- Dispense medications to inpatients, outpatients, caregivers in compliance with prescriptions; provide information on medication usage to patients to facilitate the healing process.
- Provide assessment for infusion medications to maximize quality of care and cost effectiveness
Provide pharmacist functions as determined by the Pharmacy Manager
Required Responsibilities of the Associate:
- Demonstrates knowledge and maintains and respects patient right to privacy by following the HIPAA Privacy and Security policies and procedures.
- Adheres to ICARE values and standards of behavior (Innovation, Compassion, Accountability, Respect,
- Role model behaviors that value the diversity of our associates, patients and customers and supports creating an environment that is inclusive, welcoming and respectful.
- Communicates with patients, families and customers using AIDET (Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation, Thank).
- Works in a safe manner and promptly reports any hazards identified in the work environment or related to assigned responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
Graduate of an accredited College of Pharmacy
License / Certification:
Valid unrestricted State of Michigan Pharmacist and Controlled Substance License, in good standing with the State of Michigan
Skills & Abilities:
Able to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care based on physical & related criteria, appropriate to age of patients.
Demonstrates ability to use a keyboard as may be required to perform the essential duties of the job.