Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
The Computation Directorate has multiple openings for computer scientists with a combination of education and experience commensurate with supporting a variety of software development assignments. The selected candidates will work on multi-disciplinary teams in an environment that encourages the support of the academic research community while focusing on problems of interest to LLNL and DOE programs as a member of a dynamic, multidisciplinary team environment. These positions will be within a group in the Computation Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.1 or SES.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide computer science software development support using industry standard software development practices and modern programming languages and operating systems.
- Develop a range of applications including scientific, graphical user interface, database, and visualization applications on UNIX platforms.
- Participate in the requirements definition, analysis, design, implementation, debugging, testing, and optimization of computer programs on workstations.
- Participate in a research team, including supporting work and research papers.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives functioning as an effective team member on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Engage other developers frequently to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations, working to fulfill deliverables as a team
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.2 Level
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain software systems using object-oriented analysis, design, and programming techniques.
- Provide solutions to moderately complex problems involving largely identifiable factors
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Skilled in all aspects of software project life cycle: feasibility, requirements, design, implementation, integration, test and deployment.
- Experience developing software with either C++ or JAVA within Linux, UNIX, and Windows environments.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Demonstrated ability to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel and ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to prepare, present, and document technical information.
In Addition at the SES.2 Level
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with minimal guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to provide innovative approaches and apply new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Demonstrated ability to apply effective analytical and problem-solving skills to complex problems.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience with Python, Perl, Web Technologies, Ajax, or HTML5, Oracle database schema design and SQL, distributed control systems, real-time operating systems, Big Data analytics, NAS, platforms, resource management systems, Linux virtualization, cloud computing technologies, grid frame works, and cloud file systems, revision control systems, remote boot protocols, and/or experience in a High Performance Computing environment.
- Experience with application development using object oriented methods, an understanding of fundamental networking and distributed computing concepts, and/or experience maintaining an IBM BlueGene system.
Job ID: 102675