Vera produces dozens of publications and multi-media materials annually. Many of these materials describe results from Vera studies while others summarize findings from research conducted by others. Over the past year, Vera has released research reports, policy briefs and multimedia materials that address a wide-range of critical justice and immigration related topics, including mass incarceration and the overuse of jails, state spending on prisons, the opiate crisis, legal services for immigrants, the incarceration of women, and solitary confinement, to name a few. Our website received over 500,000 visits in the last year and recent high profile social media posts have reached millions across the United States. This level of visibility provides a unique opportunity for research and communications professionals seeking to reach a wide audience.
Vera is seeking a Senior Research Editor to join the Institute’s communications team and work in close collaboration with our team of experienced researchers. This is a newly created position that would suit a highly motivated professional with experience writing or editing research papers, a strong facility with qualitative and quantitative research methods, excellent communications skills, and an interest in working for a mission driven social justice organization. The successful candidate may be someone with a background in knowledge-based journalism, an experienced researcher with extensive experience writing for policy audiences, or a seasoned communications professional with a background editing for a university or research-based organization.
The Senior Research Editor will work closely with researchers and members of Vera’s communications staff to craft publications and multi-media materials that maximize the dissemination of findings from Vera’s diverse body of research studies. Reporting to Vera’s Editorial Director and working in partnership with the Director of Research, the senior research editor’s core responsibilities include:
- Helping conceptualize, review, and edit Vera research publications, and advising researchers on framing content and style.
- Increasing Vera’s capacity for rapid response by working with researchers to produce timely content, brainstorming publication ideas, helping edit and/or produce short responsive pieces, and working with the communications team to feed these materials into the news-stream via our journalism contacts and social mediachannels.
- Working with authors, communications staff, researchers and Vera leadership to maximize dissemination of research.
- Partnering with Vera’s media relations and social media team to maintain a network of research and media contacts to maximize dissemination of findings from Vera’s research.
- Partnering with researchers to develop communications campaigns that use a variety of formats, including research reports, policy briefs and multimedia products. Some recent examples of Vera’s sophisticated and nuanced approach to communications include the Incarceration Trends Project, Past Due, and the Human Toll of Jails.
- Leading the editorial management of the “For the Record” series of evidence briefs that provide accessible, nuanced review of the research literature relating to timely justice issues.
Vera seeks a candidate with the following qualities and skills:
- A Master’s degree or Ph.D. along with relevant work experience.
- Excellent writing and editing ability, especially in distilling complex issues and academic writing in a clear and concise way. Ability to write to a deadline.
- A track record writing about social science research.
- Ability to manage multiple projects on different schedules and deadlines while maintaining meticulous attention to detail.
- A portfolio of written/multi-media products demonstrating expertise and experience in translating research findings and recommendation for a range of audiences.
- Experience working on social justice issues, preferably with a focus on criminal justice and/or immigration.
- Hands-on experience conducting social science research preferred.
- Experience with data visualization, multimedia and other publication formats a plus.
$80K to $90K depending on experience and qualifications, plus excellent benefits.