Comcast Cable seeks to add an Economist to its Strategic Business Planning group the long-term strategy, forecasting, and portfolio management arm of the headquarters finance team. The ideal candidate will provide new insights and analytical capabilities to ongoing forecasting, planning, and decision-making processes. Working with business leaders and corporate financial planning & analysis groups, the new Economist will apply economic thinking to business issues impacting Comcast's cable division.
- Apply economic theory to solve business problems in a fast moving environment.
- Use econometric analysis to provide actionable insights on core business questions.Structure sophisticated statistical regressions to infer the underlying relationships between core business drivers. Persuasively present results to non-technical audiences.
- Provide thought leadership on macroeconomic issues. Follow macroeconomic trends and statistics (e.g. GDP, CPI, etc) and report to senior management on key developments likely to impact the cable business. Advise senior leadership on potential implications for the cable business of financial headlines Federal Reserve activity, Fiscal policy, International developments, etc.
- Advise Comcast's business intelligence and big data organizations on statistical best practices from the community of professional economists.
- Recommend applications of microeconomic theory to solve relevant business problems. Potential examples may include: Labor markets, internal transfer pricing, consumer demand segmentation approaches.
- Represent Comcast within relevant professional organizations. Evangelize new developments, insights, and techniques from the community of professional economists to the appropriate financial, analytical, and business leadership at Comcast.
- Compares financial results to planned or forecasted results and recommends future actions. Analyzes the ongoing profitability of all new businesses and/or programs entered into by the Company.
- Serves as a technical liaison to Accounting, management, and other staff by providing financial planning experience, financial information and modeling, activity analysis, and variance analysis.
- Prepares and reviews budget materials for executive leaders and the Board.
- Performs and critiques economic evaluation justifications for capital expenditures.
- Supervises, coaches, develops, and prioritizes the workflow for Senior Financial Analyst and team members assigned to project teams.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Education Level-Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent, PhD in Economics or related field strongly preferred
- Field of Study Finance, Economics strongly preferred
- Ability to develop creative approaches and solutions necessary to resolve complex problems
- Excellent analytical skills; Strongly data-driven & technical
- Proficient in statistical or econometric software programs such as Stata
- Strong background in statistics methodology, applications to business problems, &/or big data
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Years' Experience-Generally requires 6-9 years related experience, 3+ years of relevant experience preferred