Provides scientific and nutrition expertise and leverage scientific network to enable the development and execution of Mars Wrigley Confectionery (MWC) Scientific and Regulatory Affairs strategy.
Leads the development and execution of Americas health claims initiatives, nutrition and health policy, and related issues management.
Creates and coordinates aligned scientific messaging, and represents MWC in key external organizations, to create a scientifically based regulatory environment.
Develops and leads the strategy of global oral health, nutrition, health and claims initiatives. Position applies knowledge in nutrition, health and claims sciences to leverage benefits of our current/new products, and performs a variety of other tasks to review and gain approval for claims, defend claims, and maintain claims knowledge systems and databases for the Americas region for MWC.
HEALTH AND NUTRITION
- Develops and communicates science-based information and positions, and provides scientific guidance to internal stakeholders (R&D, Science and Technology, Corporate Affairs, Legal, Senior Management) on oral health, ingredients, nutrition, claims, and emerging scientific and regulatory issues of interest to MWC.
- Leads the management of scientific issues for MWC. Strongly connected with other Mars businesses and corporate team, the Senior Principal Scientist ensures that issues, trends, risks and opportunities are appropriately communicate to relevant R&D function and leaders, to help guide the business.
- Develops and maintains strong scientific networks, and works with other Mars segments to establish science policy and influence scientific opinions, external scientific environment and key opinion leaders that benefit and further the company’s innovation and growth strategies for the Americas region.
- Manages scientific (oral health, nutrition and claims) programs related to products, ingredients, packaging, functional ingredients, and other new technologies by working cross-functionally within MWC, as well as with consultants and external inter-industry group.
LEADERSHIP and EXPERTISE
- Provides regional strategic advice, solutions and technical expertise to regional SRA teams, R&D and regional guidelines and policies and ensure governance and compliance to these and other Mars policies.
- Keeps abreast of key developments in health and nutrition via literature reviews, meeting attendance, and participation in trade association activities so that potential impact to MWC and Mars Inc., can be examined and addressed.
- Leads and input complex SRA/R&D projects.
- Leads scientific aspects of MWC claims strategy for the, provides leadership and guidance across the SRA function and the business for the Americas region. Participates actively in the development of new concept, claims and communication.
- Directs MWC’s Americas claims review and approval activities and provide / support for product innovation projects and product marketing initiatives. Active participant of MWC Claims Community of Practice, is a regional resource to other regional SRA associates to ensure timely support for claims projects in the Americas region.
- Supports R&D teams by providing scientific guidance and consultation on proposed products and ingredients to assure that they meet nutritional guidelines, and desired labeling claims, and obtain approvals for ingredients and product claims.
- Provides regional governance to ensure compliance to MWC and Mars global standards and polices related to health, nutrition and claims.
Works with a high level of independence, based on scientific knowledge and experience.
- PhD in Nutrition or related medical science
- Solid working knowledge of food regulatory and human health issues
- Demonstrated track record of working successfully across functions to achieve shared goals; and proven ability to interact cross-functionally at all levels within the organization are required
- 10+ years experience in scientific affairs / nutrition with food products and/or related product categories (such as food supplements) with proficiency in food law and nutrition policy
- Experience working with trade associations and government agencies to clarify and resolve regulatory matters is required
- Requires up to 20% travel.