Senior Polymer Engineer
As part of the Newell Brands Materials & Applied Sciences team, the Senior Materials Engineer, Polymers will work on a diverse set of industry leading brands, including: Rubbermaid, Writing, Calphalon, Contigo and Graco. The Senior Polymer Engineer is responsible for researching and understanding new materials and processes related to plastic products. They will often work in cross –functional team with product engineers, design engineers and manufacturing facilities to conduct research and understand development. Some U.S. and global travel is required.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Lead the evaluation of internal/external technologies and partnering with key suppliers to solve complex problems within Newell Brands which will enhance product design and performance.
- Lead and provide material expertise in the design and development of products and new processes. This may include prototyping, pilot operations and process characterization to ensure the successful implementation of new product lines that meet all demands/requirements.
- Proactively perform research, attend conferences and meet with customers to identify new trends, new technologies and unmet needs that could lead to new application areas for our products.
- Work on innovations that address unmet consumer needs through independent research, partnering with key suppliers and developing network of research institutions.
- Lead & develop Polymer Training for the entire R&D community.
- Interact with purchasing and supply chain to implement strategies and action plans to ensure that suppliers support Newell Brands’ business needs.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to perform failure analysis and evolution of thermoplastics materials.
- Solve quality issues through an understanding of first principles, experimental design and the use of analytical equipment.
- Conduct experiments and operate various analytical testing equipment such as DSC, TGA, FT-IR and MFI in a polymer lab environment.
- M.S. or PhD in PolymerEngineering, Polymer Science, Materials Engineering or Chemical Engineering
- 3-5 years of product development or manufacturing experience
- Strong creativity and innovation skills.
- Broad knowledge of materials selection and designing with plastics, expertise on physical and mechanical properties of thermoplastics and thermosets materials and other commonly used materials and composites.
- Knowledge and/or experience with secondary plastic operations including vibration welding, laser welding, heat staking, adhesive bonding, screw and insert designs.
- Track record of successfully driving R&D projects to meet cost, performance and timeline requirements.
- Demonstrates creativity, innovation and the ability to drive the implementation of own novel ideas.
- Ability to solve complex problems using first principle analysis, structured problem solving and statistical tools (e.g. thought maps, Design of Experiments).
- Ability to communicate complex concepts verbally and in writing to cross-functional audiences and senior leadership.
- Conduct experiments, operate and interpret data using analytical equipment such as TGA, TMA, FTIR , DSC, microscopy and more.
- Track record of working effectively with other disciplines including marketing, industrial design, manufacturing, quality, and supply chain.
- Identification of intellectual property (IP) opportunities through IP and competitive landscaping and development of new IP.
- Demonstrates ability to teach essential elements of expertise to broader cross-functional audiences.
- Six sigma Green/Black Belt and or statistical data analysis skills (e.g. DOE, Gage R&R) and experience.
- Track record of developing statistically validated test methods to link key material properties to consumer relevant product-level measurements.
Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Jostens, Marmot, Rawlings, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, Waddington and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.
Job ID 1704918