Executive Underwriter / Senior Underwriter
WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION?
The Ocean Marine Executive Underwriter is responsible for marketing and underwriting Ocean Marine Commercial Hull/Protection & Indemnity, Primary Marine Liabilities and some Ocean/River Cargo business within an assigned territory. The Ocean Marine Executive Underwriter will assist Marine management in building out capabilities and strategies to profitably grow the Ocean Marine line of business.
Day-to-day responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Build strong, distinctive strategic partnerships with a select group of Marine agents and brokers where Ocean Marine Hull/P&I, Marine Liabilities and Ocean Cargo expertise exists. Develop and implement Ocean Marine sales plans. Keen insight into competitor’s strengths, weaknesses and strategies to leverage for profitable business and increased agency penetration as well as strong knowledge of market conditions within the assigned territory to lead to sound and profitable Underwriting decisions. Lead efforts by The Hartford to entertain more complex and larger ocean marine opportunities.
In collaboration with other leaders, develops underwriting practices and guidelines specifically focusing upon pricing, risk selection, mix of business, flow management and quality analysis. Work with Inland Marine Underwriters within the territory to develop cross sell opportunities where possible, create shared marketing plans and work as a team player with all Middle Market product lines.
Planning and Monitoring Results:
Closely manages agency plan results and directs implementation of specific actions to address financial shortfalls. Responsible for collaborating with Division and Regional Office leadership for agency management.
Strong Hull/P&I & Marine Liabilities Underwriting Expertise
Some Ocean Cargo and Warehouse Stock Underwriting Knowledge is beneficial
Experience with Microsoft computer package
Ability to learn/navigate internal computer systems (i.e. Siebel, etc.)
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for skilled, experienced Marine underwriting talent. We value those underwriters that have subject matter expertise within the Marine lines and possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree and relevant industry experiencerequired; advanced degreepreferred but not required
- 7+ years of underwriting, agency/territorial experience of which 7+ years are in a Hull/P&I & Marine Liabilities underwriting capacity is required
- Ocean Cargo and Warehouse Storage underwriting capacity is a plus
- Relevant industry designation (i.e.) CPCU, ARM is a plus
- Solid financial/business acumen skills
- Ability to build strong partnerships internally and externally
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Self-motivated and driven
- Team oriented
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability for moderate travel is required