Core Faculty - Public Health - School of Nursing & Health Sciences
Variety and Complexity of Work Expected:
- Developingcourse content,translating subject matter and facilitating complex learningin a web- based environment
- Resolvinglearner/academicfocused problemsrelative to achievement of academicgoals; requires independent judgment and decision making
- Managingfull instructional load plus some administrative responsibilities
- Responsibilitiesaregenerally not prescribed and have broad parameters that will lead to the masteryof the subject matterand application or practice of learnedproficiencies in the professional field
- Positively impacts learner retentionand persistence
- Actsundergeneral guidanceand collegial consultation regarding development of course contentand providingconstructive input regardinguniversity practices
Knowledge, Skills,and Abilities: Knowledge
- Extensiveknowledge of public health as an academic and practice discipline and its associated educational standards
- UnderstandingofCapellaUniversity and school philosophy, policies,guidelines and practices
- Knowledgeofadultlearningtheory and practices such as development of learningcontracts, collaborative learningand active learning strategies
- Exceptionalability to assesslearning through feedback,coaching and interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop/maintain curriculum and assessment in onlineenvironment
- Ability to teach/advise and assess at appropriate level
- Demonstratedability to identify/determine alternatives to resolve complexproblems
- Ability to consistently contribute to Capella’s communityof spirit, trust,interaction and learning.
- Actsinwaysthat support an environment of continuous improvement and a positivelearner experience
- Operatesfrom a clear sense of well-developed personal values and standards demonstrating integrity, honesty and authenticity in all actions
- Demonstratescompleteunderstandingoflearner– accommodating unique needs and expertise of each learner.
- Providessupportand opportunity for the learner to continually deepen his or her understanding of individual purpose and pursue it through educational experiences
- Demonstratesa commitment to meeting the expectations and requirements of a diversity of learners.
- Excellentcourse management skills
- Use of technology in teachingand learning in an onlineenvironment
- Microsoft Office products and web fluency
Performance Criteria: CoreFaculty will be assessed based upon their demonstration of personal driveto accomplish goals and consistently meet expectations. Performance criteriamay include the following (depending upon the type of activities assigned): Evidenceofhigh quality learner interactions as demonstrated through:
- Endofcourse evaluations
- Mentorperformance summary Appropriatelymeets qualitative standards:
- Quality of teaching
- Quality of mentoring
- Contributionstothe school or university
- Public health practice expertise Ability to manage a breadth and depth of work activities
- Demonstratesa breadth of capability across a varietyof learning activities
- Achievesquality learning outcomes
Education and Licensure:
- A doctorate in Public Health or a related field from a regionally accredited institution is required.
- Master of Public Health from a regionally accredited institution is required.
- Relevant practice experience in area of teaching or mentoring
- Two- years teaching in a relevant academic or practice setting
- Online teaching experience (or strong desire to develop competency) and ability to relate to learners in an online setting.
- Experience that demonstrates an understanding of the specific needs of the non-traditional adult learner.
- Demonstrated contribution and commitment to the field of public health, such as publishing, professional practice, and/or professional association involvement.
- DrPH research capstone projects mentors must have demonstrated expertise in a defined area of scholarly methodology and analysis.