Arconic Fastening Systems and Rings (AFSR) is seeking an Engineering Manager to manage engineering activities and the engineering team to ensure that the manufacturing process for any part is designed efficiently, according to the customer’s mandated standards, in order to maximize the fullest potential of all plant staff and equipment, generating the highest rate of return of our assets. This position is located at our aerospace forging plant in Rochester, NY.
Arconic Fastening Systems and Rings (AFSR) holds the number one global market position in aerospace fastening systems and rings, and we’re the North American leader in commercial transportation fasteners. Our rings and high-tech, multi-material fastening systems are found nose to tail on aircraft and aero engines. Our products are also critical components of industrial gas turbines, automobiles, commercial transportation vehicles, and construction and industrial equipment. Headquartered in Torrance, CA; AFSR employs over 7,500 people in 13 countries at 38 locations. AFSR is a business unit of Arconic (NYSE:ARNC).
Join Arconic and join a network of people who are passionate about industry-changing technology that advances the world. You’ll have the opportunity to work with leading global companies that operate in world-changing industries—such as aerospace, automotive, building and construction, defense and commercial transportation. It’s not just a job. It’s a career and a path to the future. You’ll be part of a diverse culture of learning, teaching and mentorship. Arconic is fully committed to developing people: providing employees with the resources, and learning and development opportunities they need to excel and build a career.
- Provide world class customer service in accordance with AFSR’s standards.
- Manage and supervise the performance of the entire Engineering Department staff, including the Metallurgists, and the Process and Tooling Engineers, setting immediate and long term goals and objectives for them.
- Mentor Engineering Department staff to help them grow in their knowledge and expertise if the forging field.
- Function as the initial liaison with major customers on any New Product Introduction (NPI) programs.
- Act as the liaison with all major customers, suppliers, and ABS (Lean Manufacturing) Department on cost reduction programs.
- Work as liaison with Operations and Quality Departments to facilitate an assurance of process quality to established engineering standards.
- Interface with the ABS Manager and participate in TQM programs like Six Sigma.
- Attend and contribute to all NCR meetings.
- Work with Central Estimating and the Sales/Customer Service Teams to assure that quotations are accurate for all process protocols.
- Direct the technical solutions of the facility with a focus on disciplined improvement of manufacturing operations and cost reduction.
- Provide Technical solutions to improve the Forge and reduce costs.
- Using a data driven approach, manage the continual expansion of process measurement systems within Engineering Department regarding: deformation, modeling, thermal, metallurgy and tooling so that there is an internal champion assigned.
- Convert progress on these programs to financial terms to match progress to the company's objectives.
- Coordinate the request and support of all use of AFSR's group resources, maintaining contact with company functional experts, as needed.
- Serve as the Staff level technical representative to the customers and resolve and communicate technical issues.
- Responsible for the design and management of all production tooling.
- Lead the facility's Root Cause & Corrective Action (RCCA) process.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills; ability to interact effectively with, and to gain cooperation from, individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Flexibility to change in a dynamic work environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with all levels of the organization - ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Mathematical Skills - ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Problem Solving Skills - ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Computer Skills - knowledge of AutoCAD or SolidWorks Design software; proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to read blue prints
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or Materials Science, from an accredited Institution
- Minimum 5 years of Engineeringexperience in Manufacturing
- Minimum 3 years of Engineering Managerial experience, supervising a team of Engineers.
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- MBA or Master’s Degree in Engineering
- Root Cause/Corrective Action experience
- Familiarity with Aerospace (AS9100) or ISO 9002 standards
- Materials Testing knowledge (NDT and Destructive)
- Metallurgical background with nickel based super alloys, Titanium, and Stainless steel
- Experience with AutoCAD or Solid Works software
- Familiar with heat treatment and Nadcap standards
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing principles and programs
- Six SigmaBlack Belt certification is a plus
- Experience in the seamless ring rolling industry