In this position, you will drive maximum life-time customer value as you recruit, train, and lead 5-10 Customer Account Managers.
Candidates must be disciplined and goal-driven, possess outstanding planning and time management skills, and bring strong customer facing skills and technical acumen. Experience with business accounting concepts, ideally emphasizing sales and use tax, is a strong plus. The ideal candidate likes to work with external customers and across departments within Avalara (Professional Services, Support, Marketing, and Product Management) to resolve issues and explore opportunities. Management candidates must also demonstrate strong leadership skills, providing their teams with clear goals and employing professional management, mentoring and motivational techniques to guide them to consistent success.
This role reports to the Director of Customer Loyalty.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Assume accountability for the satisfaction, retention and growth of Avalara customers and manage to exceed annual, quarterly and monthly metrics set by executive leadership and the board of directors; Forecasts retention, sales, and satisfaction status for assigned accounts.
- Retention—ensure team executes a proactive customer management strategy in order to build relationships to support retention for existing Avalara accounts. Identifies at risk renewals and collaborates with internal teams to secure them.
- Satisfaction— Acts as an escalation point for accounts and works across departments to solve; document problem description(s) with detail and record action steps taken in salesforce.com; proactively works to build highly satisfied and referenceable customers—measuring success through customer metrics including Net Promoter and CPO Scores.
- Growth—Drive growth of customer lifetime value by understanding customer business needs and recommending new add-on solutions and executing on upgrade sales to existing Avalara customers; Manages sales cycles ranging from 30 days to 1 year, negotiates complex contracts.
- Recruit, train, develop and lead a growing team of Customer Account Managers.
- Communicate a clear vision, plan and associated goals for success to your management and direct reports.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a sales, professional services or account management leadership position
- Strong leadership skills emphasizing hands-on coaching and mentoring techniques. Proven success setting clear goals for teams and guiding team members to success through demonstration, motivation, and positive reinforcement.
- Successful track record in reaching or exceeding goals in: customer satisfaction, customer retention, and expansion sales
- Demonstrated success as a sales, professional services or account management leader selling in territories
- Experience maintaining outstanding external customer relationships, including experience guiding dissatisfied customers to mutually satisfactory solutions.
- Solid communication, listening and writing skills
- Able to resolve user questions through a combination of independent study, investigative programming, and collaborative efforts
- Able to work effectively with people of varied technical and finance backgrounds at entry through “C” level positions in both customer service and sales scenarios.
- Organized and reliable: able to work independently with little direction when necessary. Self-starter with natural curiosity and technical agility
- Excellent understanding of business accounting practices related to sales and use tax a plus. Good understanding of information systems implementation and support practices.
- Knowledge of/experience in cloud based software in one or more of the following roles: account management, software consulting, renewals management, TAM (technical account management)
- Experience using CRM systems (e.g. salesforce.com) to effectively track and manage account management activities including cases and opportunities.