The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
The Regional Sales Manager is responsible for achieving assigned regional sales goals and growth through effective sales planning and execution. Works with members of the sales chain to achieve sales targets. Emphasizes growth through development of new customers as well as the maintenance and growth of existing customers. Introduces and places new products with customers, executes organizational initiatives and drives sales of key items with strategic customers for long-term growth. Collaborates directly with our broker partners to drive consumer packaged goods execution, distribution and new item placement in respective territory.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
Increase Distribution of Product Lines
- Manages Smithfield’s Broker relationships to increase distribution of product lines.
- Trains and monitors the sales activities of Broker representatives to ensure consistency in selling products.
- Plans for regional sales and assists with sales proposal developments, sales presentations and sales calls.
- Provides sales training to Brokers on new and existing products for sales presentations.
- Directs broker team thru meeting attendance and works within market to drive company initiatives in store.
Maintain and Increase Sales
- Meets directly with customers and key decision makers to maintain and increase sales of Smithfield products.
- Develops and makes formal presentations and/or proposals.
- Provides samples and may demonstrate the use of specific items as part of the sales process.
- Determines and drives execution of key programs based on regions’ needs and requirements (sales incentives, account specific marketing programs, etc.).
- Implements and executes Smithfield sales plans to promote product lines.
- Customizes plans to meet the local and regional marketing cultures.
- Assists sales and brokers in developing and executing sales promotions of products.
- Utilizes syndicated data and all resources to drive sales plans.
Meet Sales Objectives
- Maintains coordination with integral company functions to ensure sales objectives are met.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 8+ years of experience in Consumer Packaged Goods; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must understand the dynamics of the food business and how the account is positioned in the Consumer Packaged Goods channel.
- Must have a solid understanding of customer focused and fact based selling, including IRI, Neilsen and Perishable Group data.
- Understanding of product cuttings – comfort and knowledge of product attributes.
- Previous management experience.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Knowledge and experience with Apple software, Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and SAP, preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- May travel up to 75% of the time.
- May provide leadership and guidance to Area Sales Managers or Sales Account Managers.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Frequently required to sit; use hands to handle or feel, and talk or hear.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Corporate working environment.
- Noise level in the work environment is moderate.