The Integrated Design Manager is responsible for successful delivery of McCarthy projects by organizing the design participants, process and technology. Participants include the design team(s) and trade partners when projects utilize design build, design assist or other alternate delivery methods. This position requires proactive management of the design process with all parties ensuring coordinated documents that support theproject goals for safety, quality, cost, scope, schedule and execution.
- Overall responsibility for the design process, and the design deliverables on specific Healthcare projects.
- Identify and manage project risks and opportunities throughout the design phase.
- Leverage Healthcare-specific experience and knowledge to help identify solutions to project-specific challenges; and inform design schedules and deliverables with healthcare-specific information.
Design Team and Deliverable Management:
- Interface with Project teams to develop and monitor expectations for schedule, quality and content of design document delivery.
- Identify decision-makers and critical decision points. Obtain client direction and provide internal direction as necessary to facilitatethe project goals.
- Coordinate design document packaging strategies with the Project team.
- Manage the Design Review process with design team and client.
- Manage design document control using both 3D and 2D file management systems (cloud-based).
- Work with VDC Manager to develop and implement project-specific BIM execution plans.
- Coordinate with various owner stakeholders and vendors (such as equipment) to ensure requirements are incorporated into design documents.
- Oversee implementation of McCarthy Quality program and procedures, verifying critical quality elements are incorporated into theDesign Documents
- Become knowledgeable of applicable building codes and regulations to assist in code compliance during design delivery
Assembling Teams and Contracting:
- Assist in preparation of A/E, Consultants, Design-Assist and Design-Build trade partner RFP’s and scopes of work.
- Coordinate design services between firms to eliminate gaps in scope/services.
- Coordinate Design-Build and Design-Assist contract terms and conditions with internal and external teams.
Business Development Support:
- Coordinate proposal submissions with Business Unit Leaders and Division Marketing to the extent required and identify opportunities for visualization during pursuit phase.
- On design-build pursuits, work with internal preconstruction staff and A/E team to identify appropriate level of design for pursuit pricing and to ensure that design solutions are consistent with agreed upon win strategy.
- Facilitate communication of cost management needs between the designer, Design-Assist and Design-Build trade partners, and estimating teams during all phases.
- Become familiar with all scopes and budgets to ensure a coordinated approach to estimating and design/scope monitoring.
- Implement Target Value Design strategies and identify major design changes for discussion and tracking via a Trend Log.
- Monitor design between estimate updates to report and determine corrective course(s) of action required to maintain or lower theoverall budget.
- Assist in development of Value Analysis planning and execution of cost management approach with the owner and design team.
Field Operations Support (for Healthcare or Mega-Projects where applicable and not already addressed through a Project Manager role):
- Coordinate with Owner all permits for construction. Develop relationship with permit agencies to ensure all permits are in place toallow for construction.
- Coordinate with Owner all utility services for project. Inform Owner of utility encumbrances, timing and design to ensure un-interrupted construction operations.
- Become familiar with project development agreements as they apply, to ensure work performed by McCarthy is in conformance tothese agreements. Advise client and project participants as required regarding development agreements.
Education / Experience:
- 10+years of experience managing and coordinating design disciplines
- 5+ years of experience on Healthcare Specific projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering or Architecture required.
- Professional Engineer or Registered Architect preferred.
- Proven experience working in the design phase of a project.
- Hands-on field experience in design and construction.
- History of Affiliations with Professional Organizations preferred (i.e. AIA, CSI, ASHRAE, DBIA, etc.).
- Good computer skills, including proficiency in Building Information Modeling (BIM) and other design-phase applications (Revit,Navisworks, Bluebeam, PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Access, etc.)
- Able to assess team performance and adapt as needed for improvement
- Process oriented, with excellent facilitator and communication capabilities.
- Good understanding of the technical aspects of all building systems.
- Able to take best practices / procedures and adapt those to project specific needs.
- Ability to build consensus and to direct teams to positive outcomes for the project.
- Understands design, construction, operations and legal perspective of design.
- Enjoys ongoing learning and training others.
- Team builder.