Position Summary: Provides proactive overall administration and technical direction to single or multiple projects, including LEED projects. Maintains liaison with prime client contacts. Establishes project objectives and policies; enforces company and project policies. Monitors construction and financial activities to ensure that the project is constructed in accordance with design, budget, and schedule through subordinate managers and supervisors. Ensures that Okland’s corporate values are known and are in practice. Required Tasks:
- Responsible for ensuring that the project is completed on-time, within budget, and constructed with superior quality and safety.
- Visits each project site prior to the commencement of construction, and video records all areas that might by impacted by the construction.
- Coordinates with the superintendent to regularly update self-performed work and ensure that the proper fees are being applied.
- Reviews and ensures request for information (RFI) log is current, and follows up to ensure record drawings and as-builts are updated and maintained.
- Prepares for, attends, and represents the company in applicable meetings including, but not limited to, the following: job “kick off”; weekly project; monthly project manager-superintendent; monthly job review; owner-architect; and management report (upon request).
- Manages the job closeout process from day one of project. This includes, but is not limited by the following: ensure financialobligations to subcontractors are settled within 30 days of substantial, and that the final payment is received within 60 days.
- Compiles operations & maintenance (O&M) manuals, and submits them in accordance with contract documents.
- Follows job start-up procedures, including completion of the new project checklist.
- Ensures—along with the superintendent—that the project site and construction activities are being constantly documented in writing and in photos, and that they are properly stored electronically.
- Ensures a storm water protection plan is in place at the onset of every project, that the notice of intent has been filed, and that the plan is maintained and updated on a weekly basis.
- Coordinates and communicates closely with the owner, architects, and subcontractors to eliminate any issues before they become problems.
- Reviews and works through negotiations of the prime contract with the owner.
- Ensures and/or creates the pre-punch list and final punch lists, and ensures they are distributed and maintained on a regular basis, and completed in a timely fashion.
- Assists the owner and architect to obtain building permit and other permits, as required; also coordinates and acquires all insurance, bonds, etc., as required by the owner.
- Manages and tracks allowances accurately for the owner.
- Maintains relationship with the owner to ensure all warranty issues are identified, documented, and resolved in a timely manner.
- Markets the company to the owner and design team, and engages the business development department in pursuing future opportunities.
- Seeks input from staff on how to improve process, project, company, etc.
- Seeks to learn changes in the industry.
- Coordinates with the superintendent to use P6 scheduling software and to take ownership of the project schedule to press the project team to meet schedule demands and to meet milestones.
- Ensures project safety policies, procedures, and company & OSHA standards are being enforced by the project team and that weekly safety meetings are being held.
- Manages the risk exposure process and accounts for all possible unforeseen cost impacts to the budget or time impacts to the schedule.
- Mentors and encourages subordinate growth and development, and builds the morale of all project team members through positive reinforcement, feedback, etc.
- Works with the project team to establish goals and develop accountability.
- Schedules, prepares, and conducts performance evaluations and reports of staff members.
- Conducts regular staff meetings for coordination and development of staff and resolution of critical issues. In addition, reviews RFI’s, ASI’s, CCD’s, etc., with the project team to ensure that answers are received in a timely manner from the owner and architect.
- Assists the project team to have good neighbor relations around jobsites.
- Ensures all purchases, orders, and invoices are properly coded and administered according to Okland’s policy.
- Reviews the established budget estimate and bid, and assists the estimator and job cost accountant with setting up the proper codes and organization of the job cost report.
- Assists the job cost accountant with the preparation and review of subcontract supplements and monthly pay applications to ensure that subcontractors are billing the proper percent complete on work items and that they are not over billing. Reviews this information with superintendents.
- Reviews the job status reports, on a monthly basis, with the project director.
- Updates projected project fees on the income and cash flowreports and provides reports to the project accountant.
- Manages the change order process effectively and efficiently by tracking and ensuring all costs are included and accurate and that the owner and architect are aware of potential cost impacts.
- Modifies the subcontract agreement and/or purchase order template to the specific project, inserts detailed scopes of work with project team’s input, and ensures subcontracts and/or purchase orders are issued in a timely manner to allow for maximum quality and schedule and cost effectiveness.
- Ensures buyout process is complete and that all subcontracts are written within 60 days of contract with particular emphasis on subcontracts that have potential impact on early activities (e.g., rebar shop drawings)
- Organizes and conducts pre-construction meetings with subcontractors and monthly job cost review meetings.
- Formally documents via e-mail, letter, etc., all relevant informal communications occurring on site with subcontractors.
- Regular, timely, and predictable attendance is required for this position.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Prepares, maintains, and updates exposure log with the project team on a monthly basis.
- Prepares income and cash flow summary, on a monthly basis, in conjunction with the job cost accountant.
- Maintains log of PRs, CORs, COs, and exposures.
- Notifies the master subcontract agreement administrator when new subcontractors are utilized, and ensures that the master subcontract is distributed.
- Coordinates with the project team to ensure the construction drawings are updated with approved changes.
- Manages, tracks, and documents the RFI and submittal processes proactively, effectively, and in a timely manner.
- Controls and monitors necessary long-lead procurement items.
- Coordinates with the project team to create and maintain the project directory.
- Inspects supplier warehouses when payment for stored materials is being requested.
- Participates as a design-build manager when required.
- Develops and maintains with the superintendent and corporate scheduler a detailed construction CPM schedule.
- Coordinates with the project team to maintain meeting minutes.
- Coordinates with the project team to ensure that delivery tickets are processed in a timely manner.
- Ensures that all the paperwork on the project is properly filed and maintained.
- Assists the project estimator in the preparation of Instruction to Bidders during the bidding process.
- Assists in the coordination of the work being performed by the tradecontractors.
- Reviews weekly payrollreports sent by the job cost accountant to ensure accuracy.
- Bachelor's degree in construction management or some related field, and 3 to 5 years of related experience working on commercial construction projects; or equivalent combination of education and experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements
- Extensive knowledge of established construction and maintenance practices, procedures, and techniques as well as applicable local, state and federal building codes.
- Familiarity with a wide range of equipment and tools and proficiency in skilled construction, maintenance, and repair tasks.
- Advanced understanding of constructionscheduling and cost control.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects or competing demands.
- Ability to properly manage general conditions in a commercial construction environment.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with customers, vendors, and employees at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to effectively lead and manage teams.
- Thorough and attentive to details.
- Ability to proactively plan for any risks and activities to help meet or exceed the deadline.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism in the workplace.
- Ability to maintain the utmost level of integrity in all relationships and situations.
- Ability to read and understand work orders, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, memos, blue prints, contract document specifications, construction drawings, and CPM schedules.
- Possess strong computer skills; proficient in MS Excel, MS Word and MS Outlook.