Lead Business Risk & Controls Advisor
8 - 10 years experience • Financial Services
IMPORTANT: Applicants – When filling out your name and other personal information below, DO NOT use any special characters or ALL CAPS. Use only standard letters in the English alphabet. Including special characters or all uppercase letters will cause errors in your application.
We are currently seeking talented Lead Business Risk & Controls Advisor for our San Antonio, TX facility.
The Lead BusinessRisk and Controls Advisorreports to Director position within the first line of defense to promote arisk-aware culture and to ensure the overall effectiveness ofrisk and compliance management programs and operations in the business. This role will partner and collaborate with Compliance andRisk Management, as well as Business Operations,Audit Services, and Regulators to supportrisk and compliance based initiatives.Responsible for ensuring adherence to the governance of the establishedrisk framework and ongoing supervision of business controls includingrisk and control self-assessments, identification and evaluation of control effectiveness, identifying control failures, facilitatingrisk and compliance remediation, market conduct exams, and monitoring the first line of defense in an effort to minimizeriskexposures and strengthen the overall control environment.
- Directs and oversees multiple initiatives in support of risk and/or regulatory compliance related initiatives on behalf of the business including but not limited to: oversight of procedures/process, regulatory reporting, document governance, risk control self-assessments, procedure governance, control design, new product controls, supplier governance, or quality governance.
- Serves as a Subject Matter Expert in more than one key area of Business Controls Management and applies a holistic understanding of risk and regulatory compliance to influence business strategies and solutions.
- Identifies opportunities to leverage untapped resources across the enterprise to improve and strengthen the control environment. Designs solutions for unanswered business questions and anticipates future business needs. Directs, organizes and oversees action plans designed to enhance governance practices in alignment with risk and compliance frameworks.
- Influences and develops innovative solutions to mitigate risk and preventrisk exposures which result in significant business impacts. Manages the most complex projects involving cross-functional areas within the first line of defense. Defines and outlines new approaches to problem resolution, and leads project team from concept through implementation.
- Advises senior management on the status of their control environment related to risk identification and control weaknesses. Identifies critical areas to monitor and escalates issues and findings to appropriate stakeholders.
- Serves as a primary resource to cross functional team members and advises on risk mitigation opportunities. Stays informed of changes to the regulatory environment to ensure proper compliance with processes and requirements are followed.
- Bachelor's degreerequired or an additional 4 years (12 Total) may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- Eight years of operations experience in a relevant functional area to include financial services, banking, information technology, or other related operational area that supports risk/compliance initiatives within the business is required.
- Six SigmaBlack belt
- Experience interacting with management, regulatory agencies, and business partners to ensure appropriate execution of regulatory requests
- Experience in Project Management Governance- Experience in large-scale process improvement implementation and change management
- Knowledge of banking, insurance or investment laws and regulations
- Experience with specific product or process
- Experience working with internal controls, business and information technologyrisks and/or audit techniques
- MBA or advanced degreepreferred
- Demonstrated ability to advocate for and influence change in the risk and control mindset of business through education on risk and control related matters
- Highly advanced knowledge of business or operational processes, products and programs in CoSA-specific industry or business area
- Maintain a highly advanced awareness of regulatory and business risks and issues
- Strong communication skills with ability to communicate information in a way that is easily understood
- Process and systems oriented, with a broad understanding of technology and its applications including end to end controls
- Ability to analyze complex processes and determine the efficiency/ effectiveness of the process and related controls
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Ability to evaluate, prioritize and make informed decisions to ensure timely and accurate completion
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Job Number: R0012912