Built on talent, technology, and trust, Grace is a leading global supplier of catalysts and engineered materials. The company’s two industry-leading business segments—Catalysts Technologies and Materials Technologies—provide innovative products, technologies, and services that enhance the products and processes of our customer partners around the world. With approximately 3,700 employees, Grace operates and/or sells to customers in over 60 countries. More information about Grace is available at grace.com.
Reporting to the VP Tax, the Senior Manager – Domestic Income Tax is responsible for all aspects of domestic tax accounting, reporting, compliance, and planning. This position has significant latitude for independent judgment and initiative.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, other duties may be assigned:
Accounting for Taxes
- Responsible for accounting for income taxes (ASC 740) for US legal entities
- Ensuring that appropriate internal controls are in place over accounting for income taxes.
- Liaison with operating management on tax issues and accounting staff on tax accounting issues.
Compliance & Audits
- Ensure all required returns, reports, and payments are timely filed and appropriately documented
- Determine proper treatment and documentation of domestic transactions in US tax returns
- Coordinate with Senior Manager International Income Taxes to ensure all cross-border transactions and transfer pricing issues are properly documented and supported for tax filing purposes
- Oversee all federal and state income tax audits
- Develop and approve responses to inquiries from various tax authorities
Planning & Strategy
- Assist in the development of tax planning initiatives/strategies and recommendations to ensure the most effective tax position and cash impact
- Assist in the analysis of the tax impact of proposed domestic transactions and develop tax efficient approaches for each transaction
- Coordinate with the Senior Tax Manager International Income Tax to determine the most tax efficient global organizational structures
- Coordinate and resolve tax issues related to mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations and expansion
- Provide advice related to expatriate tax issues
- Summarize and present tax information to various functions
- Keep abreast of tax law changes in the US to identify potential planning opportunities or issues
- Review proposed and enacted legislation to determine impact and need for additional tax reserves
- Work with Senior Manager International Income tax
- Manage a performance culture by actively coaching and mentoring direct reports and broader staff, providing feedback and developing employees.
- Proactively establish strong relationships with all key stakeholders, including operations and finance management, as well as external tax advisors. Understand, anticipate and balance the competing objectives of stakeholders.
- Ensure that the company maintains up-to-date tax expertise and awareness of federal and state laws and their impact.
- Lead or participate in process improvement activities to redesign, standardize and automate tax accounting and reporting processes.
- Maintain strong relationship with external auditor. Interface with outside tax consultants (public accounting and legal tax counsel) and other professional associates in the exchange of tax information.
- Provide leadership and direction to internal tax team and co-sourced resources
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related area
- Master’s Degree in Business Taxation preferred
- JD and/or CPA preferred
- Ten years of related experience with at least 5 years in a public accounting firm
Other Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated hands-on approach and success in working in a team-based environment
- Previous management experience required
- Experience with corporate tax software and on-line tax research products
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Process and control acumen
Job Location Columbia, Maryland, United States Position Type