Req #: 6321
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Develop and implement innovative control system designs to solve significant processing and material handling opportunities for Corning Incorporated. Focus will be on the design, commissioning and start-up of new equipment into batching, melting, draw, extruding, firing, finishing, and material handling.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Design and integrate PC and PLC process and automation controls into robust manufacturing environment.
- Develop and improve capability of manufacturing systems for seamless part tracking, measurements, process control and data analysis. (SCADA).
- Integrate with project managers, vendors and division engineering to develop and implement control systems with state-of-the-art manufacturing capacity.
- Dramatically advance productivity gains through control software and hardware design implementations.
- Collect and interpret control project needs from a variety of sources
- Actively participate in all phases of the project including design, fabrication, off-line integration and testing, installation, production start-up support, training of plant personnel, and technology transfer. Independently follow construction of equipment in vendors’ facilities.
- Development and deploy process and automation controls on global scale
- Design complete systems to control stability of thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, mechanical, motion, chemical, robotics, power, molecular structure, multi-state physics, and electromechanical systems.
- Test validity of solutions that use traditional and advanced control.
- Develop documentation including requirements, design, test plan, and user guide.
- Report on project activities on a pre-determined basis. Ensure results meet the customer’s requirements as well as applicable national and international equipment safety standards.
- Mentor and promote controls development best practices.
- Ensure coding standard compliance through Peer Code Reviews
- Enhance centralized software libraries.
- Prepare, present and publish technical papers in public forums to advance personal technical reputation and Corning Incorporated
50% domestic and international travel involved.
Hours of Work/Schedule
- Manufacturing Systems Level Expertise (MES/SCADA and all layers to the machine)
- Software/Controls programming experience with PLC’s, HMI’s (hardware/software), SCADA.
- Well versed in electrical engineering principles.
- Understanding of PID and advanced control implementation.
- Capability to design, develop and deliver fully integrated machine and motion control, automation, and process machine systems to manufacturing.
- Able to effectively leverage external machine builders and system integrators to design, develop, and deploy integrated manufacturing systems to global manufacturing facilities
- Understanding of electrical panel layout, schematic design, ladder logic programming, and system testing and troubleshooting.
- Familiarity of logic based programming. PLC and IEC base programming structure including ladder logic, function blocks, structured text, and sequential flowchart desirable.
- Knowledge of processes comprised of thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer.
- Integration of embedded real time control into solution.
- Ability to document risk assessment process and design safety systems that are in compliance with ANSI R15.06-1999 or ANSI TR3 and process requirements. Strong problem solving skills.
- Individual must be capable of executing project assignments, in a cross-functional team based environment.
- Rigor in experimental execution and analysis.
- Able to apply a systems engineering approach to designing, managing and troubleshooting complex systems.
- Hardware Controls: Ladder Logic (Rockwell, Siemens, OMRON, etc)
- Software Controls: High Level Language(s) (C#, VB, Java or C++)
- Knowledge of relational database fundamentals (Oracle, MS SQL, PostgreSQL)
- Familiarity with industrial communication technologies (Ethernet/IP, EtherCAT, Profinet, Modbus, DeviceNet, etc)
- Familiarity with machine vision acquisition and analysis
- Controls/Electrical Experience in Manufacturing
- Basic project management skills (e.g. scoping, budgeting, timelines etc.)
- Experience in manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of equipment engineering, process support and debug
- Critical thinker, able to use logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to a problem.
- Works well with other disciplines (process, mechanical engineering)
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Interpersonal skills – engaging, enabling, open
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to collaborate with internal customers around the world to achieve business goals.
Required Education and Experience:
BS in Electrical/Computer Engineering or Computer Science required. Advanced degree highly preferred.
1-3 years of experience in related technical field