Southcentral Foundation is seeking to hire an experienced SENIOR COMPLIANCE AND PRIVACY MANAGER in our fast-growing Organizational Development and Innovation Division!
Southcentral Foundation (SCF) is seeking to hire an experienced Senior Compliance and Privacy Manager to join our dynamic Organizational Development and Innovation Division! SCF is an Alaska Native-owned, nonprofit health care organization located on the Alaska Native Health Campus serving nearly 65,000 Alaska Native and American Indian people (customer-owners) living in Anchorage, Matanuska-Susitna Valley and 55 rural villages.
Senior Compliance and Privacy Manager:
Under the direction of the Director of Corporate Compliance-Compliance Officer this position is responsible for ensuring effective operations of the Corporate Compliance Department for coordinating health information and records services across the SCF multi-facility health care system. This position is also responsible for overseeing all ongoing activities related to the development, implementation, maintenance and adherence to SCF's policies, procedures and practices including practices covering privacy and confidentiality of protected health information and other protected information in compliance with federal and state laws and accreditation standards.
Compliance is responsible for ensuring ethical conduct by the organization and other employees, especially when doing the right thing is difficult and uses the principles of ethics to advocate for protection of customer-owner rights. While Compliance is part of the organization, we also have independence to fulfill our mandate, which includes direct reporting to the Board of Directors. All individuals who work within Compliance are expected to lead by example by displaying the highest standards of ethical conduct and integrity.
The right candidate must possess the following experience, strengths and skills:
• Extensive experience in privacy, compliance and health care operations, with knowledge of ethical principles.
• Experience within the Compliance Department of a health care organization.
• Be a self-motivated person who takes initiative to tackle problems.
• Ability to manage conflict, advocate for ethical outcomes, make difficult decisions and withstand criticism.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment with rapidly shifting priorities.
Daily Duties and Expectations:
• Keeps up to date and ensures compliance with all applicable laws, policies, procedures, bylaws, regulatory requirements, and best practice guidelines including the Code of Conduct, Privacy of Health Care Information, Corporate and Health Care Compliance.
• Establishes, monitors, and maintains processes and systems for exceptional customer service:
o Ensures compliance with established customer service standards.
o Utilizes customer satisfaction data and information to develop, implement and measures changes in customer service strategies.
o Promotes a customer driven approach to service delivery that is culturally appropriate and based on customer input and feedback.
o Builds effective interpersonal relationships within the department and throughout SCF.
o Resolves complaints and conflicts timely and appropriately according to standards and established guidelines.
• Under the direction-supervision of the Director of the Corporate Compliance-Compliance Officer acts as the Privacy Officer for SCF:
o Provides guidance to implement Health Care Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)-Privacy Act and 42 CFR Part 2 privacy requirements for divisions and programs to be effective with other regulatory responsibilities.
o Monitors HIPAA-Privacy Act and 42 CFR Part 2 privacy guidelines for access, use and storage of protected health information and established standards as appropriate.
o Partners with the Security and Information Technology departments and the Information System Security Officer to ensure compliance and adherence with security standards and methods.
o Partners with the SCF Patient Accounts Department, the Dental business office and other billing systems to ensure compliance with the HIPAA Transactions and Codes Set standards.
• Ensures documentation and enforcement of SCF health information-records management-privacy policies and procedures.
• Ensure the documentation and investigation of inquiries and complaints concerning policies, procedures, laws and regulation in coordination and collaboration with similar functions within the Corporate Compliance Office.
• Ensures compliance with information-records management practices and consistent application of sanctions for failure to comply with applicable policies for all individuals in the organization's workforce in cooperation with the Corporate Compliance Office, Human Resources, Information Security, SCF leadership and legal counsel as applicable.
• Annually prepares and submits annual plan initiatives that are in alignment with Corporate Goals and Objectives and implements and updates the SCF Annual Planning Tool accordingly.
• Documents and investigates both internal and external inquiries, complaints and allegations concerning privacy policies, procedures, laws and regulations in coordination and collaboration with similar functions within the Corporate Compliance Office in a timely manner.
• Ensures compliance with privacy practices and consistent application of sanctions for failure to comply with privacy policies for all individuals in the organization's workforce in cooperation with Corporate Compliance Office, Human Resources, Quality Assurance, Information Security, SCF Leadership and Legal counsel as applicable.
• Applies appropriate regulations and standards.
• Seeks out additional learning opportunities to continue to develop the technical and professional skills needed now and in the future.
• Takes responsibility for all work activities and personal actions by following through on commitments.
• Keeps abreast of new and on-going compliance, privacy and health information management principles, practices, laws, regulations and literature:
o Performs ongoing review of the effectiveness of the compliance, privacy and health information management program and develops and implements benchmarks for the compliance program.
o Provides data for identifying, assessing and monitoring high-risk issues within the organization.
o Provides feedback of compliance, privacy and health information management activities for management, senior leaders and the Board of Directors.
• Conducts quality monitoring and accreditation activities throughout the organization:
o Assists programs and departments in developing and maintaining compliance-privacy-health information management related quality improvement monitors, audits and related activities.
o Assists with data gathering design and activities in programs as needed.
o Assists with accreditation activities as needed.
• Ensures knowledge of Compliance laws and regulations, including but not limited to, the 1974 Privacy Act and the Health Care Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
• Maintains quality, safety and infection control standards.
• Manages the development, education and training of assigned department employees:
o Ensures that all assigned employees have training and development goals and plans in place.
o Provides training and education by leading or participating in conducting training courses.
o Ensures that all assigned employees in job progression and moving forward in achieving milestones in order to progress.
o Develops, implements and monitors the development of assigned Alaska Native employees within the department.
o Manages the process for succession planning for assigned employees within the department.
o Develops, implements and monitors the effectiveness of the department orientation process.
o Mentors others for continued growth and development.
o Provides on the job training, mentoring and development for all supervised.
• Performs job with minimal supervision.
Qualifications for Senior Compliance and Privacy Manager:
• Master's degree with an emphasis in health care, auditing, quality assurance, risk management OR equivalent training and experience.
• Five (5) years of health care compliance, privacy, regulatory, legal, audit, investigations and education-training.
• Certified in Health Care Compliance (CHC) OR ability to obtain within one (1) year of hire.