- Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree in Accounting.
- Minimum Experience: Five years in a senior accounting role with specific experience in bank tax, consolidated domestic federal and state corporate income tax returns and multi-state income tax returns, tax research software and writing technical advice letters to management OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of corporate income tax laws and specific knowledge of state tax laws for Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee.
- Proficiency and experience in the use of income tax compliance software and business applications including Microsoft Excel/Word
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office software products.
- Discipline in reviewing others work product.
- Organizational skills to manage multiple responsibilities with competing deadlines.
- Certification(s): CPA or advanced degree.
Additional Job information:
- Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Prior experience with both Thomson One Source tax compliance software and IBM TM1 database software
Works with the Corporate Tax team in satisfying U.S. and state income tax compliance obligations. Provides support with tax audits, Regulation W and U.S. GAAP tax accounting and compliance.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with income tax compliance, timely preparation of federal, multi-state income and franchise tax returns.
- Prepares federal and state income tax estimates, extensions and EFT payment transmittals.
- Prepares settlement computations for consolidated estimates, extensions, original income tax returns and amended income tax returns.
- Assists with state income tax apportionment and nexus data compilation, review and analysis to be used for all state income tax filings, including estimated calculations for potential new state income tax filings for any specific legal entities.
- Prepares Book-Tax (M-1s) differences by analyzing data obtained from contacts across all business units from the parent legal entity and subsidiary corporations.
- Researches federal and state income tax regulations to comply with tax laws and prepares summary memos.
- Posts tax payments and refunds to tax accounts in the general ledger and maintains tax account reconciliations with supporting details.
- Consistently follows Tax Department established controls and procedures (Sox 404).
- Partners with managers of strategic lines of business to ensure transactions are tax efficient and tax ramifications are understood.
- Assists with federal and state income tax audit and income tax notice responses.
- Assists with tax accounting, Regulation W and bank regulator income tax compliance information gathering.
- Each team member is expected to be aware of risk within their functional area. This includes observing all policies, procedures, laws, regulations and risk limits specific to their role. Additionally, they should raise and report known or suspected violations to the appropriate Company authority in a timely fashion.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Synovus is an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting diversity in the workplace. M/F/D/V/AA