Federal HVAC Mechanical / Electrical Project Development Engineer
11 - 15 years experience • Manufacturing / Diversified
1. Participates in customer interviews to understand their goals, challenges, and work plan priorities.
2. Conducts site surveys, system assessments, and initial data collection to develop preliminary concepts for large facility modernization and improvement projects (>$2M).
3. Develops and maintains relationships with engineering and facility operations stakeholders within the customer’s organization and MEP consultants.
4. Understands the full range of JCI product and service offerings and their applications to meet specific customer goals.
5. Supports the sales team in preparing concept presentations, sample Performance Work Statements, and preliminary equipment selections.
6. Assists with rough order of magnitude estimates to support customer’s budgeting processes.
7. Applies appropriate methods to estimate baselines and potential savings in energy use, peak demand, water use, and/or operating costs and proposes appropriate M&V plans, based on the project scale and complexity.
8. Reviews customer RFPs, Performance Work Statements (PWS), and design documents for proper information to receive accurate pricing from subcontractors and suppliers. Prepares requests for information (RFIs) to clarify customer requirements. Generates value engineering concepts.
9. Leads cross-functional teams in the development of multiple facility improvement measure projects, and clearly defines division of scope responsibilities among Johnson Controls and external subcontractors
10. Prepares quantity take-offs and estimates costs of materials, labor, and use of equipment required to fulfill all provisions of the contract.
11. Develops and maintains relationships with engineering consultants and subcontractors.
12. Develops detailed subcontractor RFP packages including Scope of Work narratives to solicit complete subcontractor bids. Manages the subcontractor solicitation process and reviews subcontractor bids for exclusions, cost-competitiveness and to ensure estimate covers all PWS requirements, Agency standards, and local codes.
13. Writes and edits technical proposal narratives describing design-build concept in response to an RFP. The technical proposal includes a project schedule to support the written narrative.
14. Supports the Project Manager in planning staffing and schedules project delivery.
15. Support the Operations team in identifying risks and quantifying impact and probability. Engages internal experts to develop risk mitigation strategies.
16. Supports Operations team in “Post Award” technical activities, including site surveys, design reviews, and submittal preparation.
17. Responsible for remaining current with relevant engineering or design standards and practices and participating in industry associations (SAME, AEE, ASHRAE).
18. Responsibility for the promotion and adherence of JCI safety policies and culture.
19. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Architectural Engineering, or related field.
2. Ten years or more experience in the design, cost estimating, and/or construction management of building improvement projects, preferably with an MEP engineering firm or design build contractor.
3. Demonstrated subject matter expertise in Energy Management, HVAC systems, building automation, lighting, utility metering, and/or renewable energy systems.
4. Experience independently leading site surveys to assess facility systems for facility condition and energy savings opportunities.
5. Has a high degree of technical competence in multiple functional areas, capable of assessing design risk and being accountable for all elements of large projects.
6. Experience working on U.S. Military installations preferred.
7. Professional Engineering license, CEM Certification & LEED AP accreditations preferred.
8. Demonstrated ability to lead teams, work effectively with others, drive for results, focus on the customer, & act ethically.
9. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and is comfortable presenting in customer-facing situations.
10. Proficiency with MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Project preferred. 11. Experience with Autocad/Microstation, and cost estimating tools such as RS Means CostWorks is preferred.
12. Experience performing building energy simulation modeling (eQuest or EnergyPlus) is preferred.
13. U.S. Citizen with ability to acquire Department of Defense Security Clearances required.
14. Ability to travel within the region approximately 50%.