PRECONSTRUCTION MANAGER/CONCEPTUAL ESTIMATOR
Montgomery, AL (Home Office)
RELOCATION OPPORTUNITY - Caddell Home Office
Caddell Construction is seeking an experienced Preconstruction Manager/Conceptual Estimator for full full-time employment at Caddell's corporate office in Montgomery, AL. Caddell offers excellent benefit options and relocation for qualified applicants.
Acts as key contributor in the work acquisition process for the private sector, by producing accurate conceptual construction cost budgets and estimates. Supports project planning goals and initiatives by preparing cost models for early design concepts. Consistently demonstrates an ability to derive meaningful cost data from historical cost data, relevant benchmarked projects, and relevant assumptions from project specific factors. The scope of this position requires in-depth experience in the details of conceptual estimating for the commercial and private development market. This person should be able to rely on past experience and apply it to estimating on a conceptual basis, where a written narrative can be translated into a credible estimate, without detailed plans and specs.
- Develops and prepares conceptual estimates with minimal or no subcontractor assistance using limited preliminary design documents/information.
- Involved and at times leading the preconstruction efforts for Construction Management at Risk projects, as well as coordinating with the Director of Preconstruction services for Design/Build projects.
- Interfaces with the owner/client and other key stakeholders to understand the desired concept and scope of work. Makes recommendations and suggestions to the owner where appropriate.
- Studies and interprets the design concept and project scope to produce an estimating plan.
- Responsible for collecting and maintaining historical cost data using applicable data from past similar projects, in order to improve the accuracy of conceptual estimates.
- Conducts value analysis, life cycle costing, constructability analysis, and alternatives analysis.
- Conducts regional market cost factoring, work scope definition and integration of construction scheduling factors.
- Incorporates environmental assessment methodologies including LEED and Green Globes.
- Effectively communicates the scope and nature of the work to internal team members, including business development and design teams.
- Submits conceptual cost estimates along with detailed information, assumptions, adjustments and procedures considered in the estimate, to management for review.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of technology systems including historical cost tracking and benchmarking systems, estimating systems based on models and assemblies, and the use of virtual design and construction (BIM) in planning activities.
- Researches prior estimating data, i.e. purchase orders, subcontracts, productivity analysis reports, etc., and compiles summary reports to develop guidelines and precedents for future estimates. Procures required data sets from internal and external sources.
- Uses final as-built construction costs to refine estimation methods over time.
Education/Experience: Minimum four-year degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or Architecture. 5+ Years of Commercial Estimating and Preconstruction Experience and 5 years of construction field experience preferred. Prefer experience with architects, engineers and private owners in the Southeast United States.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Understands the methods and data sources used to estimate construction projects. Adept in quickly learning new software, related to drafting, modeling, estimating and scheduling. Extensive experience providing preconstruction service in the private sector. Strong business and technical writing skills, strong organizational skills, strong communication and interpersonal skills. Experience making presentations. Strong technical skills and sense of urgency. General knowledge of all aspects of construction including MEP system costs, project accounting, contract law, and project management control systems (scheduling, estimating, cost control, BIM, and VD&C, construction cost databases).
Certifications, Licenses, etc.: LEED AP BD&C accreditation preferred
ADDITIONAL INFO Caddell Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer veterans, disability, and other protected classes under applicable laws and regulations.