The Business Services Senior Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of the Finance and Accounting, Human Resource/Labor Relations, Payroll, ISD, and Warehouse functions as well as manage various supporting contracts for the Colstrip Power Plant (CPP). As a key member of the Colstrip Power Plant Leadership Team, this role will report directly to the CPP Plant Manager and assume a strategic role in the overall management of the functions for Colstrip. He/she will primarily have day-to-day responsibility for the planning, implementing, managing and controlling the all related activities of Colstrip along with strategic planning responsibilities/oversight associated with long range and annual operating plans. In addition to internal responsibilities, the Business Services Senior Manager will have responsibilities interfacing with the Colstrip Owners. The individual will also have direct responsibility/oversight for the following activities related to Colstrip: human resource management and labor relations, accounting in accordance with US GAAP and Talen operating principles, internal management reporting, financial forecast, treasury and settlement support, efficient transactional processing, governance and compliance, procurement and supply chain procedures.
- Upholds the values and mission of Talen Energy.
- Serve as a partner with the asset manager and operations management to insure accurate information is provided on a timely basis to facilitate decision making.
- The position provides oversight on a broad range of finance and accounting, including:
- Responsible for following Talen finance and accounting policies and procedures.
- Prepare monthly and annual financial statements in accordance with US GAAP.
- Manage internal and external compliance reporting cycle to assure timely, accurate reporting of financial and operational information.
- Work with asset managers, plant managers, general manager and VP operations to create integrated budgets and comprehensive forecasts. Assure consistency in budgeting methodology.
- Independently analyze complex transactions and new business arrangements to determine the US GAAP accounting implications for the company
- Work with plant managers, general manager and internal and external executives to review and optimize O&M budgets.
- Ensure fuel supply contracts and other significant contracts are accounted for correctly in accordance with GAAP
- Work with corporate accounting and Treasury located in Houston and Allentown:
- to oversee accounts payable and payroll function,
- to support local IT services at the plant,
- to maintain fixed assets and depreciation,
- to control materials and supply inventory values and accuracy,
- to track fuel use and power production, and
- to serve as primary interface with corporate accounting, tax, treasury and auditing.
- Understand power markets and fuel supply associated with the assets, including fuel supply contracts. Perform other duties as required to support plant operations and maintenance.
- The position provides oversight on a broad range of supply chain services, including procurement, contracting, and warehousing.
- The position provides oversight on a broad range of human resources services in support of business objectives and human resources initiatives. These services include: staffing, employee and labor relations, organizational effectiveness, talent management, compensation and benefits, and training and development.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with many varying internal and external customers.
- Develop, maintain and document proper processes and controls in accordance with Talen guidelines, policies, and direction: identify and coordinate implementation of new policies as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration
- 8-10+ years of demonstrated success as an experienced leader. (Power generation experience a plus.)
- Extensive knowledge of accounting and reporting, cash management, financial statement analysis, forecasting and budgeting.
- Demonstrated success designing and improving processes procedures and organizational structure.
- Solid knowledge of the energy industry, specifically the independent power sector, is desirable.
- Working knowledge and experience with an enterprise-wide ERP system. Great Plains skills are a plus. Knowledge of Microstrategy and Asset Suite a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong professional communication, leadership, business acumen, and writing skills.
- Significant experience managing people, planning organizational and change management skills as well as conflict management capabilities.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP and technical pronouncements