Senior Business Risk & Controls Advisor
Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Business Risk and Controls Advisor Senior for our San Antonio, TX office.
The Business Risk & Controls Advisor position will support the Bank Supplier Governance team with the ongoing monitoring and oversight of the first line’s (business) adherence to standards set forth by the USAA Third Party Risk Management Program. They will also assist with conducting quality assurance of the program and escalate deficiencies as needed. The Advisor will be responsible for the day to day support of the first line (business) Vendor Managers by providing control check points and credible challenge on the Bank’s contract portfolios.
The Business Risk and Controls Advisor is positioned in the first line of defense to ensure the overall effectiveness of risk and compliance management programs and operations in the business. This role will partner and collaborate with Compliance and Risk Management, as well as Business Operations, Audit Services, and Regulators to support risk and compliance based initiatives. Responsible for ensuring adherence to the governance of the established risk framework and ongoing supervision of business controls including risk and control self-assessments, identification and evaluation of control effectiveness, identifying control failures, facilitating risk and compliance remediation, market conduct exams, and monitoring the first line of defense in an effort to minimize risk exposures and strengthen the overall control environment.
- Manages and drives solutions for stronger controls on behalf of the business, and in support of risk and/or regulatory compliance related initiatives which may include: oversight of procedures/process, regulatory reporting, document governance, risk control self-assessments, procedure governance, control design, or new product controls, supplier governance, or quality governance.
- Performs ongoing supervision and oversight of business controls and shares knowledge with team members to evaluate the effectiveness of established business controls. Serves as a key resource to less experienced team members on escalated issues and navigates obstacles to deliver work product. Serves as a Subject Matter Expert in one or more key areas.
- Anticipates business needs and proactively identifies opportunities to improve and strengthen the control environment; Provides guidance in the execution of Risk Control Self-Assessments (RCSA's), translates control deficiencies into action plans and provides recommendations to enhance governance practices in alignment with risk and compliance frameworks.
- Partners with stakeholders to drive improvement efforts to correct or prevent unfavorable trends and assess the impacts. Facilitates, manages and oversees complex projects involving cross-functional areas in the first line of defense. Leads project team through concept, planning, execution, and implementation phases for effective and timely risk remediation.
- Advises senior management on the status of their control environment related to risk identification and control weaknesses. Identifies critical areas to monitor and escalates issues and findings to appropriate stakeholders.
- Serves as a primary resource to less experienced team members and/or cross functional team members and advises on risk mitigation opportunities. Stays informed of changes to the regulatory environment to ensure proper compliance with processes and requirements are followed.
- Bachelor's degreerequired. Four additional years of equivalent work experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree (10 years of operations experience without a degree)
- Six years’ operations experience in a relevant functional area to include financial services, insurance, banking, investment, information technology, public accounting or other related operational area that supports risk/compliance initiatives within the business
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level.*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Certified Regulatory Vendor Program Manager (CRVPM) and/or Risk Management Certification (CRCM, CIA or otherrisk/compliance certifications)
- Large Bank Third Party Risk Management experience
- MBA or advanced degreepreferred
- Experience interacting with management, regulatory agencies, and business partners to ensure appropriate execution of regulatory requests
- Ability to advocate for and influence change in the risk and control mindset of business through education on risk and control related matters
- Demonstrated knowledge of business or operational processes, products and programs in CoSA-specific industry or business area
- Maintain a high awareness of regulatory and business risks and issues
- Strong communication skills with ability to communicate information in a way that is easily understood
- Process and systems oriented, with a broad understanding of technology and its applications including end to end controls
- Ability to analyze complex processes and determine the efficiency/ effectiveness of the process and related controls
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Ability to evaluate, prioritize and make informed decisions to ensure timely and accurate completion
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
Job Number: R0011435