The Vice President (VP) of Clinical Health Information Integrity is responsible for the strategic and operational planning, design, implementation, and oversight of Avera's System-wide Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) Program and system-wide HIM functions. The Vice President directs and leads governance, structure, and process performance across Avera Health and its acute care and critical access facilities. CDI and HIM aim to improve the overall quality and completeness of the electronic medical record clinical documentation in adherence to industry best practices. The Vice President will develop strong partnerships and interface with executive management and key physician leaders to reach the goals and objectives of the CDI Program, which include achieving the highest quality of clinical documentation to produce the most accurate codified information for patient safety, measureable outcomes, and accurate reimbursement. Additionally, this leader is responsible for standardizing activities currently underway with (HIM) and (CDI) processes and implementing best-practices across the organization.
REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred with Nursing or RHIA
- Certified Clinical Documentation Specialist (CCDS) or Certified Clinical Documentation Improvement Practitioner (CDIP) credential required or
- Ten (10) plus years of experience in a Clinical Documentation Improvement Program, with at least three years of experience as a CDI Director or Manager in a large acute care hospital setting.
- Experience standardizing HIM and/or CDI processes and implementing best-practices.
- Knowledge of health care delivery system and/or healthcare revenue cycle functions.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local regulatory requirements related to clinical documentation, health information management and the medical record.
- Extensive knowledge of coding, billing and clinical documentation practices.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, LICENSURE and/or REGISTRATIONS
- This position requires a valid driver's license and that the employee is insurable by the Avera Health automobile liability insurance carrier.
- Certified Clinical Documentation Specialist (CCDS) or Certified Clinical Documentation Improvement Practitioner (CDIP) credential required
- Registered or accredited by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- Applicants who are not certified are able to sit for the national exam with