AARP’s Senior Vice President & Chief Human Resources Officer (SVP & CHRO) acts as the principal strategic advisor on human capital and human resources directives and initiatives. The SVP & CHRO partners with key leadership teams throughout the AARP enterprise to develop, implement, and maintain effective human resources strategies, functions, and systems. The SVP & CHRO is responsible for leading a customer service-oriented, flexible, and responsive human resources team to ensure that human resources policies, procedures, and practices are carefully designed and fully leveraged to support enterprise success.
- Provide strategic and operational advice to senior leadership in order to set the strategic direction for staffing, organizational structure, and people-related processes and to translate strategies into operational plans.
- Amplify AARP’s employer brand both internally and externally by driving employee engagement and promoting external awareness among talent communities.
- Ensure an optimized staff structure with clear roles, capabilities, core functions, and management relationships that maximize individual and team potential and ensure accountability for organizational performance.
- Drive organization-wide strategy for recruiting, onboarding, developing, and retaining exceptional and diverse talent that makes a positive and sustained impact on AARP’s mission.
- Design and implement initiatives that support AARP in remaining a model of equity, inclusion, and diversity in all aspects of its work.
- Develop and oversee a system of effective performance reviews that reward high performers and link individual performance to organizational outcomes, values, and core competencies.
- Ensure that compensation philosophy and processes yield appropriate, fair, and incentivizing salary increases, promotions, and other compensation decisions.
- Manage the compensation and benefits portfolios in AARP’s many labor markets in order to maintain a competitive advantage as an employer of choice in all regions.
- Recommend and drive the best investments in people to optimize organizational performance.
- Champion and promote an engaged and positive organizational culture, facilitating collaboration across programs and strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels.
- Lead collaboration on all aspects of human resources practices across the enterprise.
- Ensure compliance with and adherence to all applicable laws and regulations.
The successful Senior Vice President & Chief Human Resources Officer (SVP & CHRO) will be a world-class leader who thrives on building well-designed and thoroughly conceived HR processes and systems that support complex and multi-faceted teams within a growing and innovative organization. A strategic and detail-oriented thinker, s/he will be capable of fostering internal conversations to build support for and engagement in human resources processes for today and into the future. S/he will also be capable of making carefully considered and decisive judgments about the development, implementation, and ongoing evaluation of HR needs across the enterprise. The ideal candidate will combine these skills with a genuine passion for utilizing them to advance AARP’s mission. The ideal SVP & CHRO’s specific qualifications include:
- 20 years of experience in progressively responsible HR leadership roles; experience in medium to large non- and for-profit organizations with multiple locations is desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree preferred. SHRM Senior Certified Professional Certification (SHRM-SCP) desirable.
Accomplishments and Skills
- Sophisticated knowledge of all HR functional areas, including recruiting, performance/ talent management, training and development, employee relations, compensation and benefits, organizational development, HR information systems, and compliance with labor and employment laws; deep familiarity with compensation structures is preferred.
- Ability to drive creative organizational improvements and staffing decisions.
- Track record of implementing high-impact, innovative HR initiatives in complex organizations; experience recruiting for product development functions a plus.
- Proven experience providing hands-on management for core human resources systems, including recruitment, benefits, compensation, and succession planning.
- Ability to recruit, motivate, develop, and manage a team of high-performing HR professionals.
- Commitment to customer service philosophy of human resources department effectiveness.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex issues, evaluate difficult situations, and effectively drive multiple teams on independent tracks simultaneously.
- Experience building successful relationships at all levels across an enterprise.
Personal Characteristics and Work Style
- Cultural sensitivity, high emotional intelligence, and a flexible, team-oriented style.
- Proven ability to inspire, lead, and manage a multigenerational workforce and to cultivate an inclusive environment among staff.
- Strong work ethic and a genuine and infectious sense of enthusiasm.
- Effective in building trust and relationships with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Positive attitude and graciousness as a leader and follower.
- Inquisitive commitment to perpetual learning and to sharing with others.
- Unquestionable personal integrity and exceptional judgment