A specialty chemical company which manufactures specialty polymers and chemicals is looking to hire an Operations Manager as a key member of their plant lead team in Savannah, GA and may serve as the Acting Plant Manager in his/her absence.
The purpose of the Production Manager position is to provide management oversight of the plant’s manufacturing operations and processes.
The individual who holds this management position is expected to effectively and safely manage operations output levels, product quality, production cost and other company assets associated with the manufacturing operations processes and ensure that the manufacturing of products meets or exceeds key performance targets and customer expectations.
The position will have multiple direct reports and 50+ indirect reports.
Major Roles & Responsibilities:
- Drive the optimization of production throughput/outputs and product quality.
- Lead production activities and establish priorities to ensure safety, quality, customer satisfaction,productivity, cost control/management.
- Ensure effective plant shutdowns through compliance with safety policies and procedures, and proper operational startup.
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives and projects through application of various manufacturing process improvement strategies and techniques like Lean manufacturing and 5S.
- Coordinate root cause investigations of production incidents and operational failures to identify mitigations, resolutions, and responses in a timely manner.
- Employ and report out on key performance indicators (KPIs) that impact plant results.
- Manage department cost, spending, and overall budget/financial activities.
- Identify and implement initiatives to reduce fixed and variable cost.
- Supportinternal Account Managers and Sales/Commercial Business Unit staff to provide product costing and manufacturing suggestions for special projects, applications, and new product development.
- Lead, develop, coach and evaluate process engineers, production supervisors, and other production employees (hourly and salaried).
- Manage and understand resource (people, equipment, capital, etc.) requirements, identifying gaps and implementing corrective actions and solutions.
- Work with management peers help develop and maintain a positive work environment for all employees.
- Ensure compliance with company policies and procedures as well as legal requirements in areas such as workplace environmental, health, and safety/OSHA, and Quality standards.
- Maintain good housekeeping and safe workplace conditions.
Skills and Experience:
- Must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or other related field of study from an accredited college/university. Master’s degree in Business or related field of study preferred.
- Must have at least 10 years of relevant work experience in chemical manufacturing or related industry.
- Must have experience with unionized employees.
- Must possess and demonstrate strong functional expertise and people management skills.
- Must be proficient in the use of a personal computer applications and business information systems such as PI system, DCS, SAP, Microsoft Office Tools, Lotus Notes, SAP, etc.
- A strong emphasis will be placed on team skills and communication between management and labor, both in Maintenance and Operations areas.
- The ability to accomplish goals and objectives by identifying complex problems and organizing teams to explore and resolve problems will also be emphasized.