Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Assigned to engineering project teams that are responsible to deliver robust, cost effective process machine and automation systems to Corning’s manufacturing plants and processes.
- Work with project team members to solve difficult mechanicalengineering and process equipment related problems, resolve project related issues, and develop fundamental understanding of process and equipment design requirements.
- Defines and documents machine design specifications, errors budgets, develops mechanical design concepts, designs and follows construction of prototype and production process equipment, conducts proof of concept tests, collects and evaluates data, and makes appropriate engineering recommendations.
- Interface with external machine builders, system integrators, and suppliers to specify and successfully deliver fully integrated process machine systems to their internal Customers on-time, on-budget, and in satisfaction of process performance measures.
- Prepares or directs the generation of construction drawings, installation drawings, and ensures that final drawing packages reflect as-built conditions and satisfies Corning drawing standards.
- Actively participates in system integration /debug, installation, production start-up, and training of plant personnel.
- Report on project activities on a pre-determined basis. Ensure results meet the customer’s requirements and standards.
- Maintain records and track expenditures against allocated funds. Estimate time required to accomplish tasks and monitor performance against schedules.
- Individual must be capable of leading/executing project assignments, in a team based environment, with minimal supervision.
Projects involved with:
Project focus will be implementation of robust, cost effective automation and process machine systems in Corning Pharmaceutical Technologies manufacturing plants, development prototypes, and/or sample scale production equipment. Role within group: Member of a cross-functional project teams through concept generation and development, detail design / build, system integration and production start-up in manufacturing.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
Normal Business Hours (8 – 5, M – F), however, expected to work hours required to achieve project objectives
Travel Requirements: Estimate travel at 30% depending upon specific project assignment. Travel may be required during installation, debug, and start-up as well as for routine interaction with Customers and Suppliers. It is based on project assignment
Required Education and Experience
B.S Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical EngineeringTechnology
10 – 15years in mechanicalengineeringexperience in the design and development of production process machinery, dynamic mechanisms, and / or automated systems.
1. High level of technical curiosity that will enable unique solutions to the technical challenges incumbent in the position.
2. Strong fundamental understanding of mechanical design practices, flexible automation, robotics, material handling, and system integration including development of process machine /system design specifications, error budgets, and proof of principle testing.
3. 10 – 15years’ experience developing and delivering fully integrated machine /automation systems to manufacturing requiring the integration of commercially available technologies into robust process manufacturing solutions.
4. Familiar with state of the art technologies in the following areas: electro-mechanical drive systems, fluid power, pneumatics, robotics, material handling, alignment, part sensing, and safety standards.
5. Demonstrated ability to effectively leverage and manage external machine builders and system integrators for detail design, build, and integration of later stages of machine system implementation. 6. Demonstrated skills in 2-D and 3-D CAD, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, and knowledge of ANSI Y14.5-1994 drafting standard.
7. Ability to work in a team based environment and participate on a highly matrixed project team.
8. Self starter who is able to satisfy their objectives and timelines with a minimal amount of supervision.
9. Sound problem solving and decision making processes and skills.
10. Results oriented with a high commitment level
2. Forward looking
3. Knowledge of glass manufacturing
4. Experienced with Solidworks and Autocad design software
5. Experience with use of standard computer modeling and analysis software packages used in design of mechanical systems. (FEA)
6. Experience designing systems for deployment in “clean room” or “contamination sensitive” applications
7. Desire for first principles understanding, core technology ownership
8. Prior experience moving a new product / manufacturing process from development into manufacturing
1. Understands what it takes to get the job done, able to identify resources, timing, budget within areas of responsibilities
2. Ability to effectively deal with high levels of uncertainty, ambiguity, and change
3. Strong communication skills 1
Req #: 6262