JOB PURPOSE AND REPORTING STRUCTURE
Under the direction of the Technology Manager, the Senior Development Chemist conducts research, develops processing techniques, and othertechnologies within the Materion AMG R&D Team with a focus on the development of new products, services and markets. The position will also research and propose new production equipment, procedures, and methods to automate, improve, and/or scale-up existing processes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Process & Product Development
- Perform chemical manufacturing processes employing techniques appropriate to the task to maintain or improve the Company's competitive market position. Duties may include utilizing a broad range of equipment currently used in Development or Manufacturing.
- Identify and develop novel synthetic methods and processes.
- For new product processes, understand and optimize the total chemical processing chain and determine and communicate the impact. Evaluate liabilities, risks, yield, environmental and health & safety.
- For new development projects, conduct experiments, perform analytical characterization activities, gather and analyze data, establish material property relationships, draw conclusions, and document concise technical reports with clear recommendations.
- Routinely handle highly reactive, air sensitive, toxic, hazardous, and/or carcinogenic materials.
- Apply solid scientific understanding to the innovation and development of novel materials and processes especially relating to chemical product manufacturing. Drive analytical data gathering and processing for data based decision making.
- Use and document projects per Stage-Gate Process for New Product Development.
- As part of the design iteration loop, ensure failure analysis of development products/services and re-design are routinely performed.
- Make recommendations for capital equipment purchase. Support identifying and evaluating new analytical technology relevant to current and future products.
- Ensure any sub-contract vendors are appropriately evaluated and selected.
- Maintain awareness of trends and new developments in chemistry through membership in professional societies and technical readings.
- Sales and Marketing Support
- Support AMG Sales and Marketing in new product development.
- Provide necessary support to Sales in the formulation of new product quotes.
- Provide technical reports to customers for new qualifications and on-going technical analyses.
- Support Sales and Marketing by participating in meetings, conference calls etc when direct communication with customers requires Technical input. This may also encompass technical seminars, trade shows, exhibitions etc.
- Provide guidance on the potential viability of new materials and their manufacturability.
- Be available to comment on the R&D Prototype Schedule in conjunction with Sales, Logistics and Manufacturing.
- Logistics Management
- Working with Supply Chain Team ensure that material flow is maintained in the most effective manner in accordance with ISO 9001 documented procedures e.g. RFQ detail, Purchase Requisition etc.
- In conjunction with Purchasing ensure Raw Material specifications are clear and concise so development can be supported effectively.
- Provide the necessary support to Logistics in terms of ensuring MRP correctively reflects accurate material master data for development materials.
- Provide engineering support for all internal and external vendor process issues related to active R&D Projects.
- Work with the Supply Chain Team to identify, establish and evaluate new vendors for new materials and technologies for future growth.
- Engineering Support
- Support Process Engineering to identify, design, specify and drive innovative processing techniques for existing product improvement and new product development.
- As part of the Stage Gate process, coordinate activities for the development of new products and services with Process Engineering, Quality and Operations. Ensure a successful hand-over and ramp up of developed and approved processes.
- Quality & Safety System
- Comply with all site specific and companywide safety programs, trainings, and policies.
- Adhere to ISO 9001 procedures. Ensure all approved projects are documented and recorded in a Project History File.
- Working with the EHS Manager and Operations Director offer direction and support for the Materion Safety Program particularly as it relates to chemistry and development activity.
- Ensure all procedures are formally documented and approved for use within the guidelines of the company’s quality system.
- Engage with, participate in or support the Emergency Response Team particularly on chemical safety.
- Operation Support
- Provide operation support to identify improvements, route cause investigations, and proactively encourage a safety culture particularly for chemical handling and usage.
- Participate in scheduled site communication meetings such as the MDIs.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Requires education generally equivalent to a Master’s in inorganic chemistry or related field or higher. M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Chemistry preferred. Three to five years technical experience with knowledge in inorganic or organometallic synthesis, analytical techniques, and characterization is preferred. LeanSix Sigma Green and/or Black Belt certification is preferred.