Sr Human Resources Specialist-00017460
Contribute. Grow. Lead…with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people. Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. For every product it makes, OxyChem’s market position is No. 1 or No. 2 in the U.S. In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Senior Human Resources Specialist with our Chemical Manufacturing Facility located in Gregory, Texas. Essential Job Duties:
- Interviews and participates in the recruitment and selection of exempt, nonexempt, and hourly employees; determines applicant qualifications and makes the appropriate recommendations concerning offers of employment; and audits performance of newly hired employees.
- Conducts exit interviews with employees to determine the underlying reasons for termination of employment; also determines employee attitudes toward the company, supervisor, etc.
- Manages the technician salary/wage program. Participates in approved salary surveys affecting all nonexempt and hourly employees.
- Administers Human Resources policies, advises/counsels plant management and employees regarding company policies and procedures.
- Generates, maintains and provides reports as required.
- Directs and aids in the preparation of all plant position descriptions. Provides preliminary evaluation of new or revised position descriptions according to plant and company guidelines.
- Initiates and assists in the development and presentations of programs which address important goals of the plant such as supervisory and employee development and promoting positive employee relations.
- Researches, advises actions, and assists in corrective employee behavior and disciplinary action.
- Counsels employees, supervisors and managers on confidential matters.
- Establishes and maintains contact and positive relationships with employees.
- Coordinates plant projects as assigned or requested by the Human Resources Manager or Plant Manager
- Bachelor's degree in HR Management, Labor Relations or related degree with applicable experience.
- 5+ years of experience in Employee Relations, Labor Relations, Training and Recruiting preferred.
- Strong leadership, facilitation, team building and process improvement skills.
- High proficiency in Microsoft applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Experience with HRIS systems such as PeopleSoft preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Physical requirements – Must be able to lift 40 lbs, climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience in a chemical manufacturing environment a plus.
- Must be open to relocation for subsequent opportunities.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status
- Human Resources
- United States-Texas-Gregory
- OXY CHEM