Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum helps protect more than 25 million working people and their families in the event of illness or injury. Colonial Life is a member of the Unum family of businesses and is a market leader in benefit solutions, specializing in personal insurance products offered to employees in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant U.S. operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide.
Unum Group seeks a Workday HRIS Consultant! This role is responsible for leading and driving technology initiatives and projects that span multiple HR disciplines. Responsibilities include: identifying how to leverage HR systems and/or application functionality more effectively on a global basis, proactively recommending and driving process improvements and innovative solutions to add value to the business and defining and configuring systems changes in support of business strategy and process. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated the following:
- Demonstrated project management skills and the ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously while meeting deadlines and quality standards.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and problem solving skills, including data analysis.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and customer service skills with both technical and functional end users.
- Demonstrated ability to drive efforts to standardize, optimize and simplify processes and technical solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships, to solve problems, to build partnerships and remove barriers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead, facilitate and drive large, highly complex and/or cross-functional requirement elicitation and validation sessions by working with multiple business areas and IT partners to ensure a complete, correct, prioritized, unambiguous, verifiable and comprehensive collection of requirements.
- Determine appropriate requirement elicitation technique(s). Meet broad and/or cross-functional business vision/needs by asking questions, offering alternatives and exploring all sides of an issue to understand the true business need.
- Manage and/or lead testing efforts ensuring that comprehensive test plans and test cases are developed, that automated testing is leveraged and ensure that requirements trace to tests.
- Ensure that test plans, test cases and testing results are analyzed, defects tracked, resolved, and documented.
- Ensure that basic and advanced analysis models are used to analyze requirements.
- Develop moderate to complex prototypes to help visually illustrate requirements.
- Identify, analyze and drive resolution of large, complex problems while partnering with project management team to influence final solutions.
- Pull together data from multiple disparate sources, analyze; assess impacts when a change is proposed to a system and put together a cohesive solution/presentation/next steps that integrates into the big picture for the current project and the company’s strategic direction.
- Think beyond the current project and envision how the solution being developed could be leveraged for future endeavors.
- Own and guide the process of effectively translating complex business, system or non-functional requirements into clear, concise, traceable functional requirements and documenting them in a comprehensive repository within the business requirements document/functional specification document.
- Manage, lead, and participate in discussions and documents meetings. Clearly articulate and/or present difficult, complex, multi-faceted ideas and information and respond to questions from functional and cross-functional groups at all levels within the organization
- Use established cooperative, productive working relationships across different business functional areas and IT to influence, negotiate and recognize/resolve potential conflict/challenging situations in advance.
- Establish project teams working with business/IT partners to identify critical members in order to accomplish work.
- Organize efficiently, with appropriate sense of urgency to meet deliverables on time; delegates/drives others to act, notifies management when schedule cannot be met; recommend and implement alternatives/solutions to minimize delay.
- Teach/mentor junior analysts on basic and advanced elicitation techniques and how to develop simple to advanced analysis models as well as delegates tasks and shares general information to help build their skills.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 7+ years of systems and business analysis experience.
- Experience configuring a large global HRIS platform required. Extensive Workday Configuration and User Support experience in the Workday application strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Workday module integration and downstream, cross-functional impacts.
- Functional knowledge in key HR competencies including, compensation, performance management, recruiting, benefits, payroll etc.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are essential.
- Strong customer service orientation and skills; ability to thrive in a team environment as a change agent and the ability to work independently is required.
- Must be comfortable working with a variety of employees ranging from employee to senior executive level.
- Must have proven track record of successfully proposing, documenting and implementing improvements to systems and processes in a global environment.
- Computer skills: Workday, Taleo, strong experience with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Project and Internet Explorer.
- Extensive/superior/proven knowledge of:
- multiple business areas and supporting systems
- products, services, and business functions and processes for company/division
- requirement gathering, management, change management processes, test planning, and test execution including defect tracking/reporting
- project management process
- systems development and methodology
- Ability to understand/read logical data models
- Strong technical aptitude to elevate the partnership with IT to the next level – walk the talk
- Strong ability to understand technical vernacular and have intelligent conversations with IT to translate business needs into technology solutions that can be implemented
- Advanced understanding of mainframe, client-server and web applications
- Basic to advanced understanding of databases and SQL
- Basic understanding of procedural, event-driven and object oriented programming concepts
- Extensive experience estimating business efforts and acting as a business liaison on mid to long-range planning and analysis sessions for large, complex, and/or cross-functional projects
- Self-starter, adapts and works effectively within a rapidly changing business and technical environment
- Strong mentoring skills
- Understands team dynamics - what works/what doesn't
- Ability to deal with ambiguity on large and complex projects and able to coach other BA’s and/or SME’s through ambiguous project situations
- Demonstrated ability to promote the benefits of change and act as a catalyst for change within the organization
- Effective facilitation skills to drive requirement sessions and conduct presentations to large groups of individuals at all levels within the organization
- Possess strong negotiation skills to reach optimum mutually agreeable solutions. Positive, professional and confident in resolving issues and negations with other areas.
- Highly effective communication skills, both verbal and written. Through effective diagnosis, apply appropriate communication mediums (e-mail, conference calls, PowerPoint, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Visio, etc.) to achieve intended goal.
- Possess strong listening and comprehension skills.
- Excellent consultative and advisory skills
- Meets the standards for this position, as defined in the Talent Management framework.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum and its family of businesses is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.