Summary Description of Position
This position provides the direction and organization of trucking operations for a particular market area. Serves as a technical and administrative role in the organization. Responsible for managing the trucking operations in a manner that insures the safety and health of all employees and leaseoperators in compliance with company policies, procedures and practices along with the rules and regulations of DOT/FMCSA.
Education, Experience, Skills Required
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, logistics, construction management or related is highly preferred or an equivalent combination of training and work experience
5 years in the trucking industry
2 years in a Management position
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of DOT/FMCSA rules and regulations
Knowledge of environmental and safety regulations in trucking and terminal operations
Knowledge of the management of a logistics/trucking operation, both short-haul and long-haul
Ability to effectively interface with all levels of people and knowledge of modern motivation principles and practices
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to include both written and oral as well as conflict resolution
Excellent problem solving skills and practices
Strong organizational skills are needed
Must be self-motivated and able to work without direct supervision
Knowledge of administrative skills
Computer skills: MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
Bilingual in Spanish is preferred
High Integrity: Acts with unyielding integrity and honesty in business transactions, promoting company policies and holding self and other employees accountable, keeping promises and commitments.
Ownership Mentality: Assumes responsibility and makes decisions within own level of authority.
Good Judgment: Knows when to stand tough and when to be flexible. Sees the big picture and the ramifications of ones' actions.
Versatility: Is open to change. Adjusts positively to changing work priorities and business conditions.
Key Responsibility Areas
1. Responsible for managing the supply and availability of lease trucks and trailers to meet the needs of the customers in the market area
2. Responsible for the financial performance of the terminal operations and growing the Statewide operations in the market
3. Responsible in market analysis to determine opportunities for business development
4. Verify that all drivers are qualified and ensure they stay qualified at all times
5. Monitor driver records for hours of service, speeding violations on a regular basis
6. Responsible in signing up and insure operators adhere to the requirements of lease contracts
7. Prepare annual budgets
8. Monitor and train in Smith Systems
9. Establish delivery schedules and insure that they are within DOT/FMCSA regulations
10. Insure truck owners/operators are turning in maintenance records on a regular basis for record keeping and that all trucks operating under the Statewide banner are equipped with all necessary SHE materials (i.e. spill kits, tarps, etc.)
11. Insure all operators understand expectations of contracting with Statewide Transport, Inc.
12. Conduct periodic safety meetings and maintain records as required
13. Coordinate, monitor and administrate of fuel purchases
14. Participate and coordinate equipment inspections and assist handling of log books
15. Check and visit jobsites as required
16. Responsible in handling of accidents as required
17. Establish, monitor, and challenge scheduling; focusing on continued improvement of efficiency and customer service
18. Participate in special projects and assist in other Statewide Transport, Inc. matters
Vulcan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or genetics, protected veteran status,or any other characteristic protected by law from discrimination.