Director of Planning & Logistics
The Director of Planning & Logistics is responsible for the planning, logistics and sales operations functions as well as translating the leadership vision for Supply Planning. This hands on leadership role will develop and direct execution strategy for forecasting, inventory stocking and logistics asset planning while overseeing the tactical day-to-day management of the Logistics and Planning function across the company. The key focus of this role is to ensure that our customers are not faced with product shortages due to poor planning or lack of fleet to support customer demand. This individual will also have responsibility for analyzing planning data to ensure support of the business plan, adjusting schedules to meet deadlines and objectives, leading outsourcing projects and working to foster strong cross-functional relationships across the company.
- Must be adept at implementing optimal commercial arrangements, transportation providers and vendors by quickly identifying priorities and driving transparency, speed, quality process, accountability and productivity. At the same time, he / she will further strengthen the relationship between operations and key business stakeholders to enable profitable growth and an enhanced customer experience.
- Support revenue growth and operating income while ensuring best-in-class delivery performance on behalf of business stakeholders and customers while employing a market-oriented, service mindset.
- Provide leadership in the management of supply chain operations to support cost effective, efficient and consistent high level production which includes safety, quality, environmental compliance, productivity, cost control and maintenance.
- Negotiate transportation agreements with Railroads and Trucking companies.
- Manage end-to-end supply chain costs and margin reporting to deliver a highly competitive landed cost through best methods of network optimization.
- Work closely with the senior leadership team as well as all team members to ensure national, regional and local transportation activities are fully aligned to support the organization’s business strategy and plan.
- Develop, implement, and manage internal manufacturing scheduling processes. Work with manufacturing leadership to ensure internal manufacturing production scheduling process is robust, efficient, and cost effective.
- Implement inventory management policies for all required materials to support internal and external manufacturing and establish inventory plans to meet response times for customers.
- Lead cross functional planning teams to respond to unplanned events. Develop supply options, facilitate decision making, and communicate updated manufacturing and supply plans to all impacted stakeholders.
- Uses ERP system data to accurately and strategically plan, prepare, analyze and control production schedules and materials requirements to ensure orderly flow and delivery of approved materials to meet production requirements.
- Develop strong partnerships and establish credibility with the internal team and adopt Preferred’s strong service-driven culture.
- Build a high performing team; attract, develop, and retain the best talent possible within the relevant functions.
- Minimum of 10+ years transportation and supply chain industry experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Logistics or directly related field of study. Masters or MBA is preferred.
- The right individual will have deep and broad exposure to most elements of the supply-chain including warehousing, distribution, trade compliance, inventory management and planning.
- Well-versed in process improvement skills gained in operations-centric environments, where improvements are driven by creativity and innovation and can be shown via measurable KPIs.
- Experience with industry related software.
- Self-starter; takes initiative to maintain high quality standards.
- Strong business acumen and analytical problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to manage employees and develop relationships with customers.
- Experience in negotiating with transportation companies, particularly railroads.
- Experience in managing commercial and operational relationship with railroads.