The Sales and Marketing Director works under the direction of the Senior Vice President of Marketing. The position is responsible for monitoring, advising, recommending, and facilitating the marketing, advertising, and leasing efforts of an assigned division with the goal of maximizing the leasing effectiveness of assigned properties. Key responsibilities include monitoring advertising budgets and tracking marketing performance by property to achieve the optimal pricing strategy; analyzing leasing performance by property and making recommendations for improvement to resolve deficiencies; conducting training in leasing and marketing best practices. Frequent travel between properties within the division and to corporate offices is required.
The successful candidate will embody and work to reinforce MAA’s Core Values. Those values include:
- Appreciating the uniqueness of each individual
- Communicating openly and with integrity
- Embracing opportunities
- Doing the right thing at the right time for the right reasons
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors the assigned division’s advertising budgets, including identifying potential cost reductions and achieving budgeted marketing expense goals.
- Develops working relationships with vendors in the assigned division. Reviews advertising commitments with properties and performance. Conducts contract negotiations on behalf of properties in coordination with corporate.
- Works with corporate marketing and vendors to develops advertising in print, internet, and any other media. Provides technical and physical assistance to property management with large promotional and media campaigns.
- Monitors advertising effectiveness and advises property management to achieve and maintain an appropriate balance between traffic generation, occupancy, and expense efficiencies. Tracks occupancy and leasing performance through reporting and assessment tools; works with property management to develop and execute marketing plans within budget, including appropriating discretionary marketing funds.
- Identifies and analyzes market conditions for optimal pricing strategies in coordination with Revenue Management.
- Provides pricing support in developing and executing budgets for rent growth and concession usage. Collaborates with multi-site operations and property management to positively affect marketing and pricing performance. Provides focused support, coaching and development to underperforming properties and assists management with marketing and communications strategies and tactics, including crisis or sensitive information.
- Receives and/or identifies marketing collateral needs for properties within assigned division and coordinates development corporate marketing resources.
- Monitors sales performance in the areas of staffing, shopping reports, closing ratios, and inventory management to provide awareness of and solutions to potential issues.
- Maintains close communication with both corporate marketing, divisional operations teams, and properties which includes regular visits, property walks, and corporate field visits. Travels frequently by personal motor vehicle or by commercial air plane.
- Prepares and conducts sales training and rallies in coordination with the training department on logistics.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to meet the needs of the business.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications or a related field required.
- 5-7 years of sales and/or marketing experience required.
- Experience with advertising and multiple marketing channels required.
- Valid driver’s license from state of residence required.
- Experience in leasing, property management, hospitality a related field preferred.
- Sales training design, development and presentation experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of consultative sales techniques, training and coaching applications to leasing
- Knowledge of advertising principles and practices
- Knowledge of adult learning principles and practices
- Ability to travel frequently (up to 75% of the workweek), including overnight
- Knowledge of multifamily housing marketing channels
- Knowledge of Fair Housing laws and state and local landlord-tenant laws
- Analytical skills used in assessing situations, problem solving, and identifying solutions
- Verbal and written communication skills, including presentations to groups
- Ability to effectively organize projects and processes
- Ability to adapt to change and operate with flexibility
- Ability to operate independently and effectively with broad goals and objectives