Provides leadership, direction, and support for the Geisel School of Medicine research and administrative operations in support of the Department Chair or Program Director. Applies a thorough understanding of the principles and practices of financial management, research management, organizational administration, and grants administration to provide the necessary support to the Chair/Director and faculty and their research projects. Collaborates with Geisel central office to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of fiscal operations. Works closely with counterparts across Geisel to continually review processes, identify opportunities for improvement and allocate resources to achieve these goals.
Skills & Knowledge
- Excellent accounting, management, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop, execute, and manage complex budgets.
- Ability to work effectively, independently, and as a member of a team.
- Willingness and ability to exercise judgment and initiative and to interact with faculty, personnel, and outside agencies in a professional manner.
- Flexibility and openness to change.
- Ability to plan work, set priorities, and respond to pressures, deadlines, and changes in schedules and priorities.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to maintain and foster confidentiality.
- Proficiency in database management, spreadsheets, and other computer software.
- Familiarity with College accounting systems and procedures preferred.
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse population.
- 7 to 10 years of relevant experience with 5 of those years in management preferred.
- Experience in grant administration in an academic setting is mandatory.
- Bachelor’s degree in a business discipline or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Master’s degree is preferred.
SEIU LevelNot an SEIU PositionFLSAExemptEmployment CategoryRegular Full TimeDepartment Contact for Cover LetterMargaret Karagas, PhDEqual Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Develops and oversees departmental and project budgets, including multiple funding source budgets for large scale, multi-center, national and international research projects.
- Analyzes on-going and planned research and departmental activities, available funding, anticipated fluctuations in funding, staffing, etc. and the short and long term financial needs of projects.
- Performs financial analyses of proposed new initiatives and/or the termination of existing programs/services.
- Collaborates with the Department Chair/Director in developing plans (and contingency plans) to meet identified needs.
- Oversees staff who formulate budgets and negotiate sponsorship terminology with outside agencies.
- Supports the interpretation of College and sponsor policies to faculty and personnel on issues such as allowable costs, charging mechanisms, capital equipment purchases and use of consultants.
- Reviews monthly financialreports and provides quarterly projections to Geisel Fiscal Office.
- Oversees regular financialreporting and updates to principal investigators.
- Collaborates and advises the Department Chair/Director and faculty on the allocation/reallocation of funding.
- Oversees staff who prepare and process payables, deposits, journal transfers and wage transfers.
- Designs and maintains the department’s financial accounts structure.
- Supervises the reconciliation of monthly financialreports, the resolution of discrepancies in charges to department accounts.
- Identifies the need for and designs systems to ensure that departmental accounting practices are in compliance with College, state and federal policies and regulations.
- Performs continuing review and analysis of accounting practices to up-grade/enhance systems as needs dictate/opportunities permit.
- Achieves economies through joint procurement opportunities and pursuing discounts.
- Approves purchase orders and invoices of major expenditures.
- Oversees financial and administrative components of faculty grant applications for submission to federal and state agencies and private foundations.
- Oversees research plans into scope of work; identifies areas (e.g., laboratory costs, manpower, equipment, supplies, communications, transportation, etc.) in which costs will be incurred, develops estimates of such costs, provides for administrative costs (including pooled resources) associated with the research, and budgets accordingly.
- Advises on the framing of grant proposals so as to be responsive to sponsoring agency interests, when needed.
- Manages the work of administrative and research staff in preparing and submitting grant applications, including those for multi-center clinical trials.
- Supervises the calculation and processing of payroll authorizations. Consults with department chair and senior leadership to address potential payroll shortfalls.
- Develops recruitment packages and act as the department contact for potential recruits.
- Oversees recruitment of research personnel as required by principal investigators. Advises faculty and staff on the application of personnel management policies on issues such as hiring, employee benefits, and employee performance
- Makes recommendation on departmental staffing needs.
- In consultation with central Human Resources, facilitates resolution of personnel management problems within the department.
- Collaborates with central Human Resources to ensure alignment with College policies.
- Develops and implements diversity plans.
- Formulates departmental fiscal and administrative policies and procedures.
- Assures the timely accomplishment of the administrative workload, determining priorities to increase efficiency.
- Manages space and equipment allocation.
- Develops business plans for new and expanding programs.
- Procures and oversees maintenance of equipment; sells/disposes of equipment no longer needed.
- Interacts with representatives across Dartmouth College, Geisel, Dartmouth-Hitchcock, other academic institutions, and private foundations to provide information, seek clarification of requirements and collaborate on issues of mutual interest.
- Responds to external requests for information.
- Represents the department on College and Geisel committees and at other forums.
- Collaborates with other Geisel Operation Directors to ensure processes are aligned and efficient; reallocates resources when necessary.
- Develops processes for evaluating programs, establishing and collecting metrics/outcomes, and analyzing and reporting results.
- Develops and implements communications, marketing, and public relations plans.
- Identifies and coordinates special and on-going projects.
- Prepares program/project applications, plans conferences, gathers and summarizes data, and prepares background materials.
- Mentors and coaches administrative and financial team.
- Hires, supervises, trains, and evaluates staff to meet changing department needs.
- Sets clear performance expectations for staff and regularly reviews performance against expectations.
- Develops and implements training and professional development plans for staff.
- Ensures cross training of team members and accurate documentation of procedures to ensure adequate coverage, accurate and consistent information and timeliness.
- Directs staff to work cooperatively across operation teams to support fluctuations in staffing and work load.
- Encourages and fosters a positive team-oriented working environment through effective communications and management.
-- Performs other duties as assigned