Under the direction of the Assistant Director-Editorial, the Senior Writer/Communication Specialist isresponsible for the development and implementation of communication strategies that raise the profile of Purdue University and its initiatives. This staff member will work to promote many of the university's ambitious interdisciplinary initiatives.Responsibilities include strategic message development and positioning; media relations and research; and content development for appropriate communication vehicles. Must be skilled as areporter, writer, or editor, with basic competency in multimedia; and have the ability to tell stories through the use of various platforms, including standard news releases, media pitching and media advisories,social media, audio, video, and emerging media.
- Bachelor's degree in Communication, Journalism, English or a related field.
- Five years of experience handling diverse communication efforts for a high profile organization.
- Writing and media relations experience.
- Experience in social media.
- High level of professional writing skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Skills and experience in media relations and strategic message development through effective pitching, release writing, video and social media.
- Ability to keep abreast of trends in the areas of higher education.
- Proficiency in word processing, PowerPoint, electronic media.
- Graduate or professional level training in journalism or marketing/communication.
- Experience in higher education.
- Experience in issues and crisis management.