LGS Innovations, a leader in solving the most complex networking and communications challenges, is seeking a Lead Systems Engineer for our Herndon, VA or High Point, NC office locations.
In this position you will: Lead a team of systems engineers to define, analyze, evaluate, develop, implement, integrate, test, and document complex Radio Frequency (RF)-related systems. Interface with customers to understand their requirements and determine the best way to provide a differentiated solution given internal and/or partner capabilities. Provide systems engineering leadership and oversight for program execution. Provide technology and vendor assessment and selection. Support proposal development and planning activities.
LGS Innovations solves the most complex networking and communications challenges facing the U.S. Federal Government, state and local governments, foreign governments, and commercial organizations worldwide. LGS delivers groundbreaking research, and advanced networking and communications solutions that provide an information advantage that contributes to the mission and operational success of its customers. LGS Innovations is a U.S.-owned company headquartered in Herndon, Virginia, with offices nationwide. We provide our employees with competitive compensation packages and a full range of benefits, including vacation, medical, dental, life insurance, a 401(k) plan, tuition assistance, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and paid parental leave.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide functional excellence in systems engineering including people, processes, and tools in support of the development of complex Radio Frequency (RF) related systems
- Execute all aspects of the system engineering lifecycle, from concept exploration through operations and maintenance (O&M) including system definition, system modeling, requirements management, integration, and test.
- Provide leadership, management, and mentorship to systems engineering staff responsible for the development of complex systems
- Develop and deliver content for major technical reviews with the customer as part of this lifecycle, this may include: IBR, SRR, ASR, PDR, CDR, TRR, ORR, etc.
- Support program leadership in direct technical discussions with customers in support of existing projects. Develop and provide technical presentations for customers, as required. Operate as an Integrated Product Team (IPT) in partnership with the government and its technical support organizations.
- Evaluate vendor products and solutions against customer requirements, and make recommendations for revisions. Support the development of partner relationships
- Collaborate internally with multi-disciplined software and hardware development, integration, deployment and maintenance teams to achieve program goals
- Lead the execution of an integrated test team to ensure complete verification and validation of system requirements at the sub-system and system levels to demonstrate achievement of customer and project objectives
- Support system installation and transition to government operations at multiple government locations within and outside the continental United States (CONUS/OCONUS)
- Actively participate in other project execution activities to include risk and technical issue identification and response planning/implementation, quality and mission assurance, earned value management (EVM) to control cost/schedule, and on-going project planning
- Provide systems engineering support to business leadership in pursuit of new business opportunities and/or development of proposals
- Travel to other LGS Locations or Customer Sites as necessary
- Understand and adhere to all LGS Ethical and Compliance policies
- Proactively ensure a safe work environment and adhere to LGS EH&S policies and procedures
- Perform other duties as required
- If required, obtain/retain a government security clearance at the level to perform the job
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, ElectricalEngineering or other technical discipline and 8-10 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education, skills and experience
- Expert knowledge and demonstrated experience with disciplined system engineering processes applied to the delivery of complex, hardware/software systems
- Detailed understanding of hardware and software development processes
- Significant development experience in two or more of the following technical areas: RF, Hardware, Software, Communications systems, Network and Infrastructure, Satellite ground station operations and systems
- Experience working with multi-discipline, geographically dispersed teams
- Internal and external customer interface experience at all levels of management
- Demonstrated Leadership skills
- Excellent computer skills; proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Must be flexible, decisive and proactive problem solver in a fast paced and agile environment
- Ability and knowledge to perform basic maintenance and repairs
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Experience and knowledge of complex IT and information assurance (IA) standards, desired
- Working knowledge of earned value management system (EVMS) principles
- Familiarity with industry standard certifications, such as ISO-9001 and CMMI-DEV
- Experience using IBM Rationale DOORS and other components of the Rationale suite
- Secret or Top Secret Clearance
- INCOSE Certified System Engineering Professional certification