Req #: 3221
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position:
• Technical leader responsible for developing and delivering glass measurement & inspection solutions
• Subject matter expert in the area of applied optics, metrology gauges and procedures
• Interface with process controls group to provide robust 1st engineering principle solutions In this position, you will also have special access to confidential and other highly sensitive information.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Lead the development of early stage metrology systems for process and product attribute understanding for CDT Division
• Lead the development of critical metrology solutions for internal and external customers
• Develop measurement solutions that entail optical, mechanical, electrical, material science and software integration
• Establish value proposition for developed technologies & systems including technology cost benefits & differential advantages
• Responsible for leading the transfer of technologies into CDT’s Division Engineering
Travel Requirements: Up to 20% of time for domestic and international travel
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Core hours (40hrs/week 8-5); periodic evening conference calls
In this position, you will also have special access to confidential and other highly sensitive information. In accepting this position, you will be required to sign a non-compete agreement that extends for 2 years after termination of your employment.
Education and Experience:
• M.S. / PhD in optics, electrical, mechanical or related Technical Discipline
• 2-5 years of experience
• >2 year experience in developing electro-mechanical and/or optical-mechanical systems used in characterizing or inspecting material attributes
• Expertise with measurement sensors (pyrometers, thermocouples, thermal cameras, load cells, position sensors, stress)
• Strong skills in machine vision (CCD/CMOS camera systems, optics, illumination, image processing) and process imaging (thermal, stress and shape measurements) and glass substrate properties (optical, mechanical, electrical, thermal, chemical)
• Proficient in Math/Engineering software languages: Matlab, Labview, ZEMAX, OptiCAD
• Fundamental knowledge of contributing factors to measurement error (measurement platform limitations, environmental, glass attributes, etc.) Error budget analysis, Sensitivity analysis
• Proven ability to effectively work within matrix teams in R,D&E environments
• Demonstrated track record in effectively communicating across functions and different levels of the organization
• Judgment about when and where to leverage self with help from other groups/individuals.
• Statistics as it relates to gauge and process understanding (Capability, Outlier Extraction, Design of Experiments)
• Managed high impact development projects which were successfully transferred to manufacturing
• Proven Performance Excellence (6 Sigma, Black or Green Belt)
• Experience in championing new measurements into manufacturing process
• Motion control programming – Adept, Fanuc, Aerotech, Rockwell Software
• Programming language – VB, VC++ Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership)
• Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional matrix organization
• Ability to communicate across different disciplines and function in the corporation
• Logical, systematic approach to problems
• Energetic, positive outlook
• Constructively augments own skills with other resources