Ogletree Deakins is one of the largest labor and employment law firms representing management in all types of employment-related legal matters. The firm has more 850 lawyers located in 52 offices across the United States, in Europe, in Canada, and in Mexico. Ogletree Deakins has been named a Law Firm of the Year six consecutive years by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms.” In 2017, the publication named Ogletree Deakins its “Law Firm of the Year” in the Labor Law - Management category. In addition to handling labor and employment law matters, the firm has thriving practices focused on business immigration, employee benefits, and workplace safety and health law. Ogletree Deakins represents a diverse range of clients, from small businesses to Fortune 50 companies.
Our Raleigh office has an opportunity for an experienced Administrative Secretary to join their expanding immigration practice group! The immigration practice group employs over 53 immigration attorneys and over 95 paraprofessionals.
We are fully committed to the importance of diversity within the legal profession, as well as all workplace environments and strongly encourage the interest of diverse candidates in the firm.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Summary of Position:
On a day-to-day basis, works under the direction of attorneys to whom the secretary is assigned. Under general supervision, supports the delivery of quality legal services to clients by providing secretarial and administrative assistance to attorneys, performing complex and specialized secretarial and clerical tasks, and working collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. This position supports multiple attorneys as primary assignments and also provides back-up secretarial assistance to other attorneys as assigned.
Essential duties and Responsibilities:
Essential Functions: These are the essential functions of the position. Successful job applicants will be able to perform these functions:
- Preparing Documents: Using word processing and document management software, the Administrative Secretary prepares and processes correspondence and written documentation to support attorney and client needs. Composes and drafts routine correspondence, e-mail correspondence, forms and documents related to intake of new client materials. Communicates by phone and in writing directly with foreign nationals and client contacts. Proofreads documents and checks for appropriate formatting, spelling and grammar.
- Processes Mail: Reviews and routes incoming mail and receipts to Data Clerks. Retrieves files for PERM approvals and Request for Evidence documentation and routes to supervising attorney for case assignment. Reviews paperwork such as to ensure appropriate routing and action has been taken. Prepares and processes outgoing mail and faxes, arranging for specialized mail or messenger services as required.
- Maintains Calendar: Maintains and updates the calendars for assigned attorneys, including meetings, appointments, and client-related activities.
- Maintains Files: Maintains paper and electronic files in compliance with internal policies. Creates client files, requests client matter numbers, creates RMS bar code labels, prepares questionnaires to contacts for new cases, monitors, follows up and assigns cases after all documentation has been received. Assigns and updates files in Visatrax to include correct due dates; assigns documentation as needed to Digital Documentation section of Visatrax.
- File Audits: Conducts bi-weekly RMS file audit to track files maintained by Administrative Secretary and locates missing files as needed.
- Closes Files: Reviews client documentation authorizing files to be prepped for closure, updates file status in INS Zoom, relocations file related electronic messages from DMS for archival. Prepares closed file documentation and forwards to File Clerk for processing.
- General Administrative Support: Prepares and processes new matter documents. Receives and screens phone calls and takes message as required. Receives and directs clients and visitors. Coordinates travel arrangements, prepares itineraries, and prepares expense reimbursement and disbursement requests. Schedules meetings and arranges for conference rooms and meals. Communicates effectively and professionally with clients and with others in the Firm. Is proactive in anticipating the business needs of the assigned attorneys; plans ahead and meets deadlines.
- Five or more years of administrative or legal secretary experience in a professional environment
- Accurate typing of at least 70 words per minute
- Strong computer proficiency in the use of MS Office, document management, time entry, e-filing and database software
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Understanding of correct grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Strong proofreading skills.
- Superior organizational skills including filing, calendaring, and proofreading
- Time management skills and ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Regular predictable attendance