Counsel works directly with the business to apply law, regulation or legal guidance to business unit issues. Counsel works to develop and maintain regulatory training materials and on-the-job user guides, drafts policies and procedures and assesses and assists in remediating any areas of non compliance. Counsel may specialize and work in a particular part of the business in which case all Essential Duties and Responsibilities would be focused on that area of responsibility (ex. regulatory compliance, labor and employment, collections and default).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise management on legal matters including performing legal research, applying policy to specific facts and advising on best practices to allow management to make sound and informed business decisions.
- Draft responses on behalf of the company to attorney letters and agency matters, including charges and government initiated inquiries and audits; drafts responses; interviews and prepares witnesses; engages with agency personnel and outside counsel.
- Monitor, research and analyze existing and changes in laws and/or statutes and regulations to evaluate and assess impact on the Bank and following approval, make any necessary policy or product changes.
- Provide legal assistance on specific topics in mergers, acquisitions, etc. Assist with integration in areas of expertise as requested.
- Direct and supervise outside law firms on specific litigation issues.
- Ensure all regulatory filings or legally required programs are completed on time and accurately as directed.
- Draft correspondence, memorandums, agreements, contracts, policies, procedures, and other documents, as requested.
- Ensure all departmental activities are performed in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures as applicable to this position.
- Function as a legal generalist with at least one area of expertise in the law.
- Conduct investigations into complaints of illegal or unethical behavior as requested by audit, the Chief People Officer or the General Counsel and make recommendations on addressing any violations uncovered
- Review agreements with suppliers and perform review functions in the Vendor Management program.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret financial report and/or legal documents.
- Ability to respond in writing to complaints, regulatory agencies or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively including public speaking, email communication and verbally.
Education and/or Experience
- A Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited school of law, and
- Admission to the Bar of Arkansas or another state in which the company does a significant amount of business, and
- At least two years of experience as an attorney in a corporate legal department, or equivalent experience in private practice.
- Proficient in legal research including use of Westlaw and/or Lexis
- MS Office programs
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Admission to the Bar of Arkansas or another state in which the company does a significant amount of business.
Other Qualifications (including physical requirements)
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentially and sensitivity towards all work-related information.
Requisition ID 2017-2161