Invesco Ltd. is a leading independent global investment management firm, dedicated to helping investors worldwide achieve their financial objectives. By delivering the combined power of our distinctive investment management capabilities, Invesco provides a wide range of investment strategies and vehicles to our clients around the world. Operating in more than 20 countries, the firm is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol IVZ.Invesco is driven by our purpose: “We exist to help people get more out of life by delivering a superior investment experience.”
About Invesco Technology
In a mobile, digital, data-driven world, Invesco Technology sets the “light on the hill” to drive this asset management business toward next-generation solutions. Our team - 1300 strong across five continents - powers the application, infrastructure, strategy and program management initiatives which augment our Firm’s market share and relevance. About Invesco Technology Strategy, Innovation & Planning (SIP)
A lean, future-focused organization within Tech, SIP is invigorated by the “art of the possible” – and indeed, much is possible in this group, from which Invesco’s CTO originally hailed. SIP uses capabilities analysis and strategic monitoring to inform where Technology should invest and concentrate development – and then implements POCs to test hypotheses and transition into execution.
Ideation campaigns, hack days and innovation labs are also within SIP’s mandate. SIP also owns the success of technology’s business-centric, multi-year strategic roadmaps, which increasingly include disruptive technologies including AI, blockchain, machine learning, automation and VR.
The Strategic Monitoring Program Lead owns technology’s analysis of external market trends, executed in a structured way:
• By predicting and defining events that could impact Invesco’s business;
• By running scenarios in anticipation of those events, and defining milestones and triggers that, when reached, should incent action by Invesco Technology;
• By leading Invesco Technology’s response when those triggers are met;
• By effectively communicating actions and recommendations across the organization.
Strategic Monitoring is not a new implementation for Invesco; the function was originally stood up in 2015, has proven value, and has withstood the test of time. This hire will take over the application and evolution of Invesco’s Strategic Monitoring Scenario process, including external landscape, internal assessment, prioritization, field alignment and cross-business unit portfolio planning.
This role includes running the day-to-day “engine” of monitoring and building business buy-in and sponsorship of new scenarios. As examples, these scenarios could include the disruptive entry of a new asset management competitor hailing from outside of traditional financial services, blockchain convergence to T+0 settlement, and many more.
This role is responsible for understanding the business mission, strategy, and processes of Invesco to identify potential risks, and identifying strategic scenarios to help mitigate those risks. He or she will work directly with business leaders and technology executives to help validate the scenarios as well as identify actionable plans that the business can build into their long-term strategies. He or she will own third-party research relationships and will disseminate acquired information within Technology.
Success for this role is measured in rigor, advocacy and activity. Whentechnology colleagues and business partners understand and areinvested in Strategic Monitoring scenarios and triggers, when the monitoring committees are raising new insights and possibilities, and when this information drives new proof of concepts (POCs) and ultimately projects into theTechnologyBook of Business, this function is successful. Execution and concrete, tangible outcomes are the #1 priority.
Work Experience / Knowledge:
• 10+ years of related experience in a senior strategic planning role in a comparable or larger sized public, financial services business; asset management and/or strategy consulting experience is a plus
• 5+ years of direct experience overseeing innovation and strategic monitoring with hands-on engagement examples through to execution
• Progressively-senior experience as a technology strategist, program or project manager, enterprise change leader, application portfolio manager, application developer or enterprise architect is welcomed
• In-depth knowledge of the investment management industry, competitors and strategic trends, notably those that currently inspire startups and Fintechs, is highly desired
• Skilled writer and presenter, both written and verbal
• This role is based in Atlanta, GA and relocation is required
Characteristics Required: The right candidate is …
• Meticulously detail-oriented
• Passionate about market evolution, innovation and ideation
• A natural doer - demonstrating a strong sense of urgency and desire to get things done with a rigorous approach to tracking and documentation
• Data driven, and able to explain complex scenarios in a way that non-technical people understand
• A structured thinker who translates gray to black and white
• Welcoming of diversity and a global, multicultural environment
• A disciplined time manager and multitasker
• Optimistic and positive in the face of pressure and tight deadlines
• Looking for challenging and thought-provoking work, with a strong desire to learn and progress