The Sr. Director, Emergency Services, provides leadership, direction, and administration for the Emergency Department (ED) and affiliated areas. Areas of responsibility include LeBonheur ED, Germantown LeBonheur ED, Fastrack, Transfer Center, PediFlight and Transport. Position scope will meet senior director budget and FTE requirements. The incumbent directs all services within area of responsibility, including nursing, and ensures effective utilization of personnel, equipment, and supplies. Manages physician relations and maintains growth and development for staff of assigned areas. Models appropriate behavior as exemplified in MLH Mission, Vision and Values.
Master’s degree required; a minimum of Master’s or Bachelor’s degree must be in Nursing.
Minimum of five (5) years of management experience within a complex acute care hospital setting.
Current license as an RN in the state where work is performed or compact license
Experience in ED services leadership in an academic medical center
Nurse Executive Advanced (NEA) certification OR Certified in Executive Nursing Practice (CENP) certification preferred.
- Possesses an exceptional understanding of ED standards, processes, patient flow, patient care coordination, and physician relationships.
- Strong professional, organizational, interpersonal skills and creative leadership in working with all levels of the organization, as well as patients and their families.
- Ability to manage multiple priorites, organize tasks, and maintain control of work flow.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of regulations applicable to patient care in the assigned areas.
- Skill in negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Experience in strategic planning and the preparation, implementation and monitoring of large operating budgets.
- Sound judgment sufficient to ensure the integrity of clinical operations and to provide exemplary leadership in the development of teamwork among clinic staff, as well as in setting performance and motivational standards for Associates.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Directs and manages the ED’s continuous effective operation, quality improvement activities, and integration into the overall mission.
- Develops strategies and outcomes that are geared to meet or exceed the patient’s experience.
- Develops and implements a participatory long-range strategic planning process for the areas under the direction of this position.
- Provides direct oversight and leadership in the development of evidence-based standardization of clinical processes and standards for areas of responsibility.
- Ensures that patient and family centered initiatives are met.
- Develops innovative solutions to successfully achieve desired outcomes; builds and leads a culture of innovative service delivery.
- Monitors Associates performance and clarifies work expectations, assists with goal setting, and promotes cooperation among individuals and groups. Develops and implements processes through orientation, training and education to ensure that the competence of all staff members is assessed, maintained, improved and demonstrated throughout their employment.
- Prepares budgets and demonstrates fiscal accountability for department resources including human resources, equipment, supplies, contracted services, and physician services. Ensures the assigned areas of responsibility achieve outcomes within allocated resources.
- Establishes and defines the metrics that will be used to determine success and drive decisions for emergency services.
- Ensures operational excellence and delivery of quality services in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, and professional standards. Develops standards of care based on professional practice standards.
- Maintains departmental compliance with legal, regulatory, and recommended standards of governing bodies.
- Monitors trends and developments in assigned areas. Participates in the development and implementation of new programs, services, and procedures.
- Promotes effective working relations and works effectively with other departments to facilitate achievement of goals and objectives.
- Establishes and maintains effective communications and collaboration with administrators, Medical Directors, and physicians, staff and other hospital personnel.
- Develops a strong reputation for the department that supports recruitment/retention of clinicians and physician specialists.
- Fosters academic partnerships and strives to align the academic mission with the emergency department service lines.
- The physical activities of this position may include climbing, pushing, standing, hearing, walking, reaching, grasping, kneeling, stooping, and repetitive motion.
- Must have good balance and coordination.
- The physical requirements of this position are: light work - exerting up to 25 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently.
- The Associate is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity, such as preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; or extensive reading.
- The conditions to which the Associate will be subject in this position: The Associate is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions; job functions are typically performed under conditions such as those found in general office or administrative work.